Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great MM Citation - this was a mans man.

Simon Birch

This belongs to Lancelot Rimmer, who flew with 65 Sqd. for a short will. It relates to his service with the Canadian Infantry in Jan. 1915. I post simply to honour a man who could do this. Source: Canadian Army Records.

Simon

32068_2421400354_0124-01699.jpg.0c983aa595b7020b7687f860bf5f2a9b.jpg

• 3 months later...

Only a few days - he was a little accident prone..

His son later joined the RAF, only to be KIA during the battle of Britain - I have a feeling that father and sons are buried together. Newspapers come from the British Newspaper Archive and the W 3347 National Archives.

Dundee Courier - Wednesday 30 September 1931.jpg

Liverpool Echo - Thursday 27 May 1948.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-01 133350.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-01 133459.jpg

Img_2111.jpg

Edited by Simon Birch

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if he found the Halifax bombers at Rootes easier to handle than the Sopwith Camel??

What a fascinating vignette!  I am much obliged for this story.  The work of Martin Hearn Limited was quite broad - I would love a quick riffle through his log-book for the period.  I wonder whether he had trained at Hooton Park originally during the Great War?  His choice of Liverpool for a wife and a domicile might tie in with that?  But I am being overly romantic, it is Friday and I am clearly over-tired! 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Here is  the Find a Grave entry for him and also confirming he is buried with his son  Lancelot John Rimmer (1896-1980) - Find A Grave Memorial

Edited by david murdoch