Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbeville - is this a formal French death certificate for a soldier?

davidbohl

I haven't seen one of these documents before, it relates to Sgt C.K.Imison #15718 KLR who DOW at 2 Stationary Hospital, Abbeville on 9th Aug 1916

With my O level French I can work out he died at 3.30 and his address in London etc, but what was the relevence  of "Faubourg du Bois" please ?

thanks

Dave

From Anc

ImisonCK_DeathCert.jpg

décedé faubourg du Bois, route de Doullens

"Died in the district of Bois, on the road to Doullens"? Hopefully a native French speaker can advise further. There is a main road from Arras to Abbeville and Doullens is on that axis, according to wikipedia.

"Faubourg du Bois" is NOT to be translated, it's the name of the hamlet of Abbeville where this man died. The "route de Doullens" is the streetname. Both are on the eastern side of Abbeville.

The paper is indeed an official extract (copy) from the "état civil" of Abbeville.

Jan

So I now know the exact location of No.2 Stationary Hospital in August 1916, Route de Doullens, Faubourg du Bois

Here's a few photies dated 1917, just click on the image to make if bigger https://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/view-item?i=41425&WINID=1628236382253

Dave

S/Effects from Anc.

1540746172_Screenshot2021-08-0608_59_42.png.a3c8ed9412c6edcf3728d3b264eda286.png

14 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

So I now know the exact location of No.2 Stationary Hospital in August 1916, Route de Doullens, Faubourg du Bois

Here's a few photies dated 1917, just click on the image to make if bigger https://www.capitalcollections.org.uk/view-item?i=41425&WINID=1628236382253

Dave

S/Effects from Anc.

1540746172_Screenshot2021-08-0608_59_42.png.a3c8ed9412c6edcf3728d3b264eda286.png

I may be wrong, but to me the declaration and the certificate read as though the body was found in the road rather in that he died in a hospital. I'm sure that if he had died in a hospital it would have said so.

Hello,

Not necessarily. It mentions "sans autres renseignements". The état civil doesn't always give much details about where or why etc. Especially in case of a soldier from another nation, it was just a case of registering the death. There may have even been restrictions on what was told about the death in question.

Jan