Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Historical Quiz on the first world war

Patrick

Guest Hill 60

I got the last two wrong, but I had a couple of lucky 'stabs in the dark' with a couple of others :ph34r:

It also brought me out in a cold sweat, for one moment I was back in my class room with Mrs Tewksbury glaring at me whilst I tried to chat-up Cathy Long ^_^

Duggghhhh! Well, I didn't cheat by looking up any references and got 8 right, but only just - a couple were guesses!!!

If anyone gets 100% (without cheating) don't be modest, tell us so that we can grovel.

Tim

Guest Simon Bull

I do not know whether i would have been sufficiently immodest to say so without Tim's specific encouragement, but I too managed 100%.

I put this down to

(1) Luck.

(2) Deduction - if you look at all of the optional answers some are mutually exclusive to an extent that gives away other answers!

(3) An excellent school history teacher who gave me a passion for the subject and who was particularly interested in the two great post war settlement treaties/conferences - ie Vienna (Napoleonic) and Versailles etc.

Incidentally, on the same site there is another very interesting quiz on inter-war diplomacy. This is very much more difficult - I scored a dismal 7/12.

This is a fun site - thanks for telling us about it.

Simon Bull

A dismal(ish) 9 - but then we didnt even get into the 20th century when I did O Level. I always used to think history stopped at Balaclava

John

Guest Hill 60
I always used to think history stopped at Balaclava

You're lucky! After doing WWI in history in my Middlesex school I was a little miffed to find that my new school in Bedford was doing the Chinese & Russian Revolutions and the Wild West!!

How about the misery of spending two years studying the Italian Wars of Religion and the History of Medicine ? Thats what I was lumbered with !!!

Guest Hill 60
How about the misery of spending two years studying the Italian Wars of Religion and the History of Medicine ? Thats what I was lumbered with !!!

oooooh, nasty!

My parents learnt all about the British Kings & Queens etc. I only learnt about them through medal collecting!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Looks like I'm a big girly swot too having got everything correct!

Shows that the education system of the 1970s was not that bad after all!

Ian

B)B)

Some of you guys who studied the Wild West, Medicine etc were 'unlucky' enough to do the Schools History Project course. (Actually I think it's a pretty good syllabus as it covers a variety of topics from different periods). You'll be pleased to know that the most popular GCSE option these days is Modern World History and it's difficult to avoid the Great War on any of the three exam boards' specifications (as syllabuses are now known). The downside is that 20th Century is sometimes ALL that kids seem to study and quite a lot of budding historians find themselves studying Hitler and the Nazis in particular at Key Stage 3, GCSE, A-Level and University. I'm not the only History teacher who thinks there's something inherently wrong with that.

Well I got eight but I got the last two right. I must admit that I am quite new to WWI. My main interestest are Germany World War Two and the Soviet Union 1943 - 1991.

My history wasn't too bad actually. We did the Russian revoloution, Mao Tse Tung and World War Two. Mind you the teacher who we had spent most of his time dodging the many compasess, protractors and pencils that some pupils took great pleasure in throwing at him. The poor bloke is probably in Rampton now barking at the moon!

Guest Hill 60

My best 'History Teacher' was my Technical Drawing Teacher at Northolt High, can't remember his name though!

He had served in the RAMC during WWII, he'd spend each double lesson a week talking about his war experiances, great bloke!

I got three wrong!

but by the third attempt i was at 100%

so does that make me one of the gang?

hehe

Arm.

Doh! Only no. 12 wrong....

Here's to Mr Pritchard, history teacher at Bewdley High School in 1981-1986, whose idea of O level History was to describe the Batttle of Waterloo in glowing detail! We all passed mind....

Simon

I have to say that those are the kind of questions that put people off history for life. I seemed to spend all my time learning dates / treaties / politics, etc and I hated it.

I hope they're learning more social history at school now.

Michael ( I got bored after the first three)

2 out of 8 missed # 1 EEK!! and # 9.

PLEASE NOTE I answered #7 the Zimmerman Telegram question incorrectly on purpose so the Historical Quiz page would give me credit for a corret answer!

TheZimmerman Telegram offered Mexico the lands it lost to the U.S. during the American/Mexican war if they would join Germany. It did not offer the US lands in Mexico.

With that point of order brought up does that mean those who were given a 100% correct result by the web page but didn't state the pages oversight in reality got one wrong :blink:

Score one for the American with his degree in American History.

Yes I know I still missed two and one was an easy one. :lol:

All the best,

Jon

11 out of 12 on the first go. It would have been 100% if I hadn't changed my mind about question 10!

And I would like to thank John Keegan for my result as I am currently in the middle of re-reading his definitive book on the war.

Oh, and Jon...If you re-read question 7 you'll note it does actually say the Mexicans were offered U.S Territory not the other way round.