Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge

Lol

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. I'd say a territorial battalion of the Sherood Foresters (Notts and Derbys) 

Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment).

The regiment had an unusual design of shoulder title in three rows.  There is a separate numeral (3) above the title seen on several of the men.  This was a tradition of all pre 1908 militia battalions (of every infantry regiment), and in this case has been carried on by its successor unit, the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion:

3rd (Special Reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions
August 1914 : in Derby. Both depot/training units, they moved to Plymouth and Sunderland respectively in August 1914. 3rd also moved there in May 1915. Both remained at Sunderland as part of Tyne Garrison.

NB.  I see that Michelle and I cross posted.

FB065076-D211-466B-BB43-3CB68C79B718.jpeg

FF6D2E20-A9BF-48FE-8006-BD60D3E07D38.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you so much both of you, I found this photo and more in a box when my grandad passed away in 1980, my grandads brother was in the notts and derby’s in ww1 so I just need to find out if one of these gentlemen is him,

I have another photo the soldier on the left is my grandad he served with Krrc and 2nd battalion  royal scots you wouldn’t have any idea what regiment the soldier sitting down is from by any chance?AE0EB0F8-677F-4673-8BDB-551C6B728D5B.jpeg.14476cab00797f3a4f4fb2d9e1a0c30f.jpeg

A better copy of the photo would make a big difference, you’ve not made much effort with your image.  The man on the left is recognisable as KRRC, who wore black buttons.  The gilding metal buttons of the man on the right indicate a different regiment or corps.  First thoughts for me are Suffolk Regiment or perhaps Royal Army Medical Corps, but the view of the badge is distorted.

FDF518F3-55B5-4E7B-AA04-CE8D0718CF11.jpeg

419E6783-F8A5-4ABE-BBD9-E0548624CB8D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, *** said:

Thank you so much both of you, I found this photo and more in a box when my grandad passed away in 1980, my grandads brother was in the notts and derby’s in ww1 so I just need to find out if one of these gentlemen is him,

I have another photo the soldier on the left is my grandad he served with Krrc and 2nd battalion  royal scots you wouldn’t have any idea what regiment the soldier sitting down is from by any chance?AE0EB0F8-677F-4673-8BDB-551C6B728D5B.jpeg.14476cab00797f3a4f4fb2d9e1a0c30f.jpeg

I think the seated man is Army Cyclist Corps.     Pete.

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think the seated man is Army Cyclist Corps.     Pete.

Yes I can see why you think that Pete, and you might be right, the outline shape is certainly similar, but I can't see it well enough to have your confidence.  I think that he's also done that classic thing of the seasoned soldier and divided his leather chin strap to straddle top and bottom of the badge and secure it in place.  If the original poster would attempt to make a better copy of the image, which presumably he has, it ought to be possible to be more definitive.

79987gfgjhgkg683730129.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Much better image. Army Cyclist Corps. Chinstrap worn around the badge to keep it in place or add character. Not uncommon. Regards, Paul.

Yes that’s so much better now.  I had thought it might even have been the Hampshire Cyclists when Pete first mentioned the corps, as there seemed to be something in the centre of the wheel but with your improved photo the muzzles of the rifles are more apparent.  It’s strange how I could see the divided strap and mentioned it even when the image was poor.

C61073AC-3790-4485-B29B-29F38F6654F6.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE