Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers service numbers query

czechmj

I am looking for a rough date of enlistment for Henry Roberts, RWF 3825 then 241544, (later transferred to Labour corps, which I already have a possible date for from a previous post). He lived in Prestatyn/Denbigh. Home service. The numbers listed above come from the pension cards on fold3, which I only found recently. Thanks.

• Admin
2 hours ago, czechmj said:

I am looking for a rough date of enlistment for Henry Roberts, RWF 3825 then 241544, (later transferred to Labour corps, which I already have a possible date for from a previous post). He lived in Prestatyn/Denbigh. Home service. The numbers listed above come from the pension cards on fold3, which I only found recently. Thanks.

The service record of 3826/24145 Worthington has survived, corroborative records indicate these were Derby Scheme attestations, called up in their Group (See LLT

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/enlisting-into-the-army/the-group-scheme-derby-scheme/)

on or around the 22 March 1916. 

Posted to the 3/5 then on to the 1/5 if fit for service overseas.  The six digit number is in the series allocated to the 5th Battalion when the TF was renumbered March 1917.

Just a follow up question: Where can I get more information about the 5th Battalion (Garrison), presumably there is no diary? They were stationed at Barrow-in-Furness? Thanks.