Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A History of the Great War in 100 Objects - what would you choose?

knittinganddeath

You might be familiar with the podcast A History of the World in 100 Objects. It's one of my favourites, and it got me wondering: if you were assembling a collection of 100 objects to tell the history of the Great War, what would they be?

Some of mine, in no particular order (and I'm afraid not particularly original), with a heavy emphasis on the German experience: Flammenwerfer Pickelhaube, Stahlhelm, Feldpostkarte, Totenzettel, sawback bayonet, the Kaiser's chair, Eisenreifen (metal tyre), ICRC POW card, The Grey Sock knitting pattern book from Australia, tank crew mask, gas mask, spoon, trench club, a piece of trench art, a mask for disfigured soldiers by Anna Coleman Ladd (though its inclusion could be debated because none are known to survive)...

I suspect I would go with: Memorial Plaque, a piece of barbed wire, officer's trench whistle, a piece of shrapnel, a tin of Plum and Apple jam, a field post card home and British gas mask and helmet. 

Interesting.

A poppy, the Sopwth Camel, Lusitania, a trench line, Gen Pershing, Gen French, Gen Haig, David Lloyd George, Old Bill, an English tank, T.E. Lawrence, Scots pipers, mud, a zepplein, machine gun on a tripod, men going over the top, etc, etc

🤔🤔🤔

Edited by bif

I was given by the grandson of Brig Gen Lewin.  A major in Ww1 a small pebble and a note he was in charge in the evacuation of Gallipoli and on the note it says I was the last officer to leave on the evacuation of Sulva bay and before I got into the boat I picked up this pebble as a small souvenir of Gallipoli 

although I have a large Ww1 collection to me that little pebble sums up Ww1 

image.jpg

Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred - the proverbial Trio and the condolence slip that came with them to the dear Widow of one of my Gentlemen. :poppy:

A Rum jar.

B93FF2CE-D41B-4D11-937A-9600AF89E80B.jpeg

• Admin

At least 3 books were published for the Great War centenary, Gary Sheffield, John Hughes-Wilson and Peter Doyle were the ones I found. I don't have any of them. What would I have? A Thomas Splint, a mills Bomb, a sweetheart brooch, a death penny for starters. 

Well, I'm biased, but for me this represents volunteer sodiery - Territorials. It was a citizens' war.

Badge.jpg

“Sod…iery”…was that a deliberate slip Steven? :innocent:

Thank you all for your replies. Always very interesting to discover new aspects of the war in a discussion like this!

@arantxa That pebble says so much more than a human-made object. Thank you for sharing.

@Michelle Young Thank you for pointing out that such books have already been published. I really liked the excerpts that were available of the one by John Hughes-Wilson and may get it for my son.

@FROGSMILE Good choice, your rum jar was also included in at least one of the books mentioned by Michelle!

My choice would be the Brodie helmet Barbed wire the Machine Gun and the Tank and lots of mud

Edited by GROBBY
wrong topic

3 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

Wow that was fast .I will post a letter ,I have 8 cards and letters of this person ( I know you like to get the style of writing ) one of which was already translated into german

img001.pdf 500.51 kB · 0 downloads img002.pdf 629.72 kB · 0 downloads img003.pdf 504.93 kB · 0 downloads

I think this was supposed to be in the Coucy thread, so I will post my transcriptions/translations there. Very excited to get to know this new gentleman ;-)

The files don't seem to be available to download, though?

Edited by knittinganddeath

A vial of morphine, a sphagnum moss dressing, a 'tin' leg, hard tack biscuit and a sandbag full of lice.

On the less pessimistic side a letter and food parcel from home.

Don't know enough about Maconochies to choose whether it was a plus or minus.

Simon

A clasp knife, cutlery and razor…all the small personal things.

Dave.

I don't know if this qualifies but I would include the Defence of the Realm Act, some of the regulations of which are still with us today (British Summer Time and the possession of illegal drugs) or have recently been repealed (Pub Opening Times).

35 minutes ago, maxi said:

I don't know if this qualifies

It's our imaginary exhibition, so everything qualifies! It could be an original copy or draft of the act. Bonus points if it is annotated by the king or prime minister ;-)

Irish National Volunteers cap badge. A split in the movement for Irish Independence saw many Irishmen in the British Army end up on the wrong side of history.

Many of the Irish volunteers in the British Army wore this badge discreetly or kept it in a pocket.

20210731_225719.jpg

Edited by depaor01

Identity discs.

666.jpg

110.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

23 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

“Sod…iery”…was that a deliberate slip Steven? :innocent:

No, but it seems appropriate somehow.

Is there a room for a Turkish woman sniper, or a German machine gunner chained to his weapon? They would serve perfectly well to illustrate the myths and legends which have grown round the subject.