Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Access to Daily Express online

Morance

Hello everyone,

can anyone help me with access to Daily Express collection online ? I would like to obtain access to 2 papers in November 1918...

Sincerely yours

Sébastien Morancé

https://www.ukpressonline.co.uk/ukpressonline/?sf=express

Daily Express Archive
The Daily Express archive is a fully searchable database of the newspaper. Here you can view, download and print historic pages from Daily Express newspapers dating back to 1900. The Sunday Express is also available from World War II and from 2000-to-now.

The ukpressonline database is a spectacular resource for historians, publishers and the public – anyone who wants to explore history as seen by the reporters and commentators who were there.

With every page available in thumbnail, small preview, full-size view and ready-to-print PDF with live text, and page-by-page browse of editions, this is one of the easiest on-line newspaper archives to explore.

Anyone can search by name, word or by date for free, to view all available thumbnails; with a free registration, you can use the Advanced Search; with a subscription to an archive, you can view, download and print pages at full size.

You can find a newspaper from an important date – which could be your birthday. (If you want to know what happened on the day you were born, search the day after your birthday.) Or search for all editions covering your chosen topic, team or personality’s greatest moments.

Packages are available to all Educational and Library establishments worldwide, providing central access to educators, students and Library users.

Thanks for your answer ; I can't get access, living in Belgium.

I only need 1 newspaper Daily Express for the 12th November 1918... can you help me ?

Thanks ;)

Sébastien

Sebastion, I cannot get access now, as I'm not able to go to a library.

I registered & had this confirmation email:

"Welcome and thank you for registering with UKPressonline.

You may now use the Advanced Search functions to search newspaper editions using text and/or dates. To search for a date use the by date alone option on the Advanced Search page. You may also search for text and a date (or range of dates) and can choose between seeing only Front Pages or all results found in the body copy of the newspapers.

Please note that, from 1 June 2021, full download/print access to these newspaper archives will be available only to
    students and staff at licensed education establishments
    the general public via subscribing public libraries
    subscribers of publications with relevant schemes

From that date, there will be cease to be an e-commerce option for short-term access.

UKPressOnline will, however, continue to offer interested education and library institutions a month’s free trial access on application and without obligation, with on- and off-site access for their members.

EDUCATION/LIBRARY ACCESS

Students: please check with your Library or Resources Page. You may already have access.

The UKPressOnline Archives are available as JISC Collections. If you represent a Higher/Further Education Institution, please contact JISC for further information.

Public access to all archives is available via many public libraries. If you believe your local library should subscribe, enquiries can be made by reply to this email."

Kath.

Thanks a lot for your answers, Kath ;)

Sebastion, I emailed UKPressonline & had an answer, part of which I quote below:

We do now offer some private subscriptions – not as many as before, but this is the updated offering for you.

The following private subscriptions may be arranged on request

- Full annual access £150

- Full access 6-months £90

- WWI/WWII annual access £50

Payment is via BACS - please contact octavia@ukpressonline.co.uk for more info.

Alternatively, if you only require access to a single page from our archives, we can send you a hi-res PDF for £25

Kath.

On 29/07/2021 at 20:57, Kath said:

Sebastion, I emailed UKPressonline & had an answer, part of which I quote below:

We do now offer some private subscriptions – not as many as before, but this is the updated offering for you.

The following private subscriptions may be arranged on request

- Full annual access £150

- Full access 6-months £90

- WWI/WWII annual access £50

Payment is via BACS - please contact octavia@ukpressonline.co.uk for more info.

Alternatively, if you only require access to a single page from our archives, we can send you a hi-res PDF for £25

Kath.

Thanks for these informations ;)

Thankyou for alerting us to this resource Kath. As you say, a great resource. I have just joined, though the free personal account still returns the same message as non-registred searches:

"Get PDF

Your subscription does not currently include access to this function; to subscribe, go to Shop."

So though you can see if there might be something of interest in its pages, coughing up dosh is the only way to access the information. The annual fee is well above that for annual membership of the British Newspaper Archive, which has thousands of titles, so £150 for one title is pretty steep. I'll press on though (no pun intended), and note dates of interest, and see if I can access those for free next time I'm at the British Library.

• 4 months later...

Hello Mrs Wills, It would be greatfull if you can access to Daily Express 12th November 1918 ; in this one, Percival Philips wrote about last English casualty (a soldier of 15th King's Horse I think) on 10th November in outstrikes of Ath in Belgium.

Please, tell me if you can access to this newspaper ?

Sébastien Morancé (Belgian Historian, Ath in Belgium)