Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German NCO

GROBBY

Hi can anyone help me find any information about a german NCO called Willy Luhmann .All I know is that he died in the war and is a Sergeant and possibly a Prussian, I have tred to enlarge his shoulder strap to find a regiment but cannot get it any clearer  img003.pdfThank you for any help

img001 (2).jpg

img001 (3).jpg

This is an area where @GreyCand @AOK4and @charlie2might be able to assist.  I’m sure they’ll be along soon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just to add some information from GreyC from the original thread where this image was first posted:

Willy /Wilhelm Lühmann shows flaps from the infantry. Given the place the photo was taken IR 15 might well be his unit (img 001). He was either a Sergeant or Vize-Feldwebel. <The distinction between the two not visible on the photo.

The photograph was taken in Minden, Westfalen, by B. Kasiel of Kleiner Domhof 11.

There are Willy, Willi, and Wilhelm Lühmanns in the Verlustlisten but none from IR 15 (in the instances where the unit is listed).

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

There is a Vize-Feldwebel Wilhelm Luhmann in Reserve Infanterie Regiment 15 in the casualty lists.

I think you are right with Luhmann (no umlaut). I read it wrong initially, but see now that based on the rest of the message (zur Erinnerung) it is clearly just the usual swoosh over the U rather than an umlaut.

He doesn't show up in the Ehrenliste of the 10th company in the regimental history.

Jan

2 hours ago, GROBBY said:

Hi can anyone help me find any information about a german NCO called Willy Luhmann .All I know is that he died in the war and is a Sergeant and possibly a Prussian, I have tred to enlarge his shoulder strap to find a regiment but cannot get it any clearer  img003.pdfThank you for any help

Hello,

How come you are sure he died during the war?

Jan

No Wilhelm Luhmann on the war memorial of Kalldorf either...

Sorry im not sure he died in the war but supposed as it was on a photo of him in uniform with a message As a constant reminder/enduring memory  Willy Luhmann on the reverse and just thought the two went together

46 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

Sorry im not sure he died in the war but supposed as it was on a photo of him in uniform with a message As a constant reminder/enduring memory  Willy Luhmann on the reverse and just thought the two went together

The message doesn't mean he died. It's just a picture given as a memento. Of course he could have died (you never knew when you went off to the front), hence the message. A lot of pics were signed like that in the war, so that the next-of-kin would have something to remember their loved one in case he would die.

The Verluslisten of 1915.11.8 with the name ,Does that mean he was wounded of could he have died ??. Im new on the german research so i dont know

5 minutes ago, GROBBY said:

The Verluslisten of 1915.11.8 with the name ,Does that mean he was wounded of could he have died ??. Im new on the german research so i dont know

Both entries record him as wounded, I understand it that he was therefore wounded twice. There are no further entries for him so it must be assumed he survived the war.

Charlie

22 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Both entries record him as wounded, I understand it that he was therefore wounded twice. There are no further entries for him so it must be assumed he survived the war.

Charlie

No mention on the communal war memorial nor an entry as died in the VL means it is as good as certain he survived.

Jan

Thank you both for your information this helps a lot.Its nice to know he survived the war.Its also nice to have a name to a face ,A lot of the cards  I have have a face and no name or a name and no face