Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New book reader for HathiTrust Digital Library. Short YouTube video with details

MaureenE

Thanks for this Maureen - though I find the Hathi site incredibly frustrating as most of the books are only available to US readers, even ones that are long out of copyright. Instead of redesigning the book reader, I wish they'd put their efforts into researching the copyright laws! 

Just my personal gripe.

All the best, John

1 hour ago, johntaylor said:

as most of the books are only available to US readers, even ones that are long out of copyright. Instead of redesigning the book reader, I wish they'd put their efforts into researching the copyright laws! 

Most of the books uploaded to HathiTrust are Google Books and if in fact a book is out of copyright Google Books may release it full view.

From the HathiTrust catalogue page, select  "Item link". On the left of that page is  a heading "Get this item" and one of the options is Find at Google Books. Click on the Google Books link and at the bottom of that page is an item "Report an issue". Fill in the online form, asking that the book be released full view on the basis it is out of copyright.

I have had a number of British Government publications, published by Her/His Majesty's Stationery Office released full view recently. My argument was that they were out of copyright as they were published more than 50 years ago. There have been some inconsistencies but overall most have been released and are now available full view.

There doesn't  however seem to be any way they will change the decision if you feel the request has been incorrectly denied.

Maureen

That's great advice Maureen, I'll definitely give it a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

All the best, John

5 hours ago, MaureenE said:

if in fact a book is out of copyright Google Books may release it full view.

From the HathiTrust catalogue page, select  "Item link". On the left of that page is  a heading "Get this item" and one of the options is Find at Google Books. Click on the Google Books link and at the bottom of that page is an item "Report an issue". Fill in the online form, asking that the book be released full view on the basis it is out of copyright.

I've sent off a couple of requests - in one case the author died more than a century ago so there's no way it should be in copyright!

Fingers crossed, and thanks again for telling me about this.

John