Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley MK VI Question

fredcoyote

Hello,

I just purchased my second Webley and had a question Google search couldn't answer!  It is a standard MK VI with a shaved cylinder serial number 2164XX.  So 1916 from what I gather.  The stamp on the top left by the barrel is '28.  My question is was it put in military service in 1928?  Seems almost too late from all I have read.  I appreciate any reply and can post any other pictures that would help.

Thank you very much,

Fred

16274254860491066623995174364888.jpg

16274255673712013123099411696303.jpg

16274256131036345339616926339851.jpg

Edited by fredcoyote
correction

I would interpret that as a re inspection/re issue date of 1928, yes.

I would not think of 1928 as too late for Webleys to be in service, I believe the remained in use through much of WWII.

Chris

Thank you for the reply.  

When you say "re" inspection/issue date you mean it was previously issued?  Or in personal use until from 1916 to 1928?  Would you know the latest year of re issue stamps?  

Regards,

Fred

Just repeating here what I said in the PM Fred - there are others with greater knowledge of Webleys and marking than I so they may chime in with additions/corrections etc

Yes, I believe it would have been issued shortly after production in 1916 in normal circumstances (and revolvers were always in short supply for the British in WWI so I think keeping one unissued somewhere) and that the '28 date stamp was applied when it went through a full reinspection/repair/reissue 12 years later.

I do not know for certain the latest date such stamps were used however they are pretty common on ShtLEs (they are usually stamped on the left side below the safety) and P1907 bayonets (on the back of the blade) up through the mid 1930s. I am guessing/working from a poor memory here but I think I have examples as late as 1937 in my collection.

Chris

Good info, thank you again!

As far as "re" inspection I would think there would be a first inspection mark around '16 and then maybe a second '28.  I'm only curious to know a little history on items that interest me. 

If anyone has a picture or even link to a Webley MK VI with a late 20's or even 30's inspection mark i'd very much appreciate it.  I've seen Enfields in the 20's but never a Webley.

I'm gearing up to reload some soft 45 AR loads and put a few down the pipe!

Take care,

Fred