Remembered Today:

Can some one tell me what these Father and Sons Canadian cap badges are please

arantxa

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

Aren't they self-explaining? 208 and 256 Canadian Infantry Battalion badges.

Jan

I was hoping someone who is a Canadian expert could tell me a bit about them. Why the Irish badge or something 

it’s self explanatory that the sun is warm ...but I don’t really know why 

Thank you I guess Irish Canadians 

“The 256th Overseas Infantry Battalion was raised in Northern Ontario as a specialized railway construction battalion with mobilization headquarters at the Exhibition Grounds, Toronto under General Order 48 of May 1st 1917. The actual date of formation is currently undetermined but the badge design was forwarded to Ottawa January 27th 1917, and approved February 6th 1917. The 256th Battalion was raised by the 97th Algonquin Rifles the regiment previously having provided 263 volunteers to the 15th Battalion on its formation at Camp Valcartier in August 1914 and later raising the 159th and 228th Battalions. The 256th Battalion embarked for England March 28th 1917 under command of Lieutenant-Colonel W.A. McConnell (109th Regiment), with a strength of 18 officers and 531 OR’s where it was assigned to the Canadian Railway Troops Depot at Purfleet. The 256th Battalion was designated as the 10th Battalion Canadian Railway Troops under General Order 63 of June 15th 1917 sailing for France June 9th 1917 where it served on the Western Front until the Armistice in November 1918. The 10th Battalion Canadian Railway Troops was disbanded along with the rest of the Canadian Railway Troops under General Order 196 of November 1st 1920.”

See: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/insignia/brookerpdfs/Part 6b railway troops.pdf

Edited by FROGSMILE

“The 208th (Canadian Irish) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Toronto, Ontario, the unit began recruiting during the winter of 1915/16 in that city and the surrounding district. After sailing to England in May 1917, the battalion was absorbed into the 2nd and 8th Reserve Battalions on January 3, 1918. The 208th (Canadian Irish) Battalion, CEF had two Officers Commanding: Lieut-Col. T. H. Lennox (April 3, 1917—June 20, 1917) and Lieut-Col. W. P. Malone (June 20, 1917—January 11, 1918).”

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/208th_Battalion_(Canadian_Irish),_CEF

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you..im guessing its a Father son and Mother  i may take off the back to see if there is a name