Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lan Fus lookup

mcfc1923

Would appreciate it if someone could lookup a Private, 10784, John william Jones Lancashire fusiliers and 49270 (same name and Reg)

many thanks

jim

Jim,

10784 Private W J Jones is listed as an original member of the 15th (Service) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers - the 1st Salford Pals.

He is listed as a member of XIII Platoon in D Company. His OC was Captain E C Maclaren and his Platoon Comd 2nd Lieutenant H V Wrong. His Company Sergeant Major J Rowlett and his Platoon Sergeant H D ALexander.

Information from 'Salford Pals' by Michael Stedman.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Tim

Thanks Tim, checked the mic at nat archives but can't find it, but it's just occured to me that it's Jones W.J. you found, so that would mean his first name would begin with W,? or have i got that completely wrong? and just showing my ignorance.

checked the cwgc to make sure he was not on ther and he'se not which is a good thing as he survived.

much appreciated Tim

Jim

Jim

Private, 10784, William Joseph Jones, 15th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers was killed in action on July 1st 1916.

He is buried in grave XII. W. 3., Ovillers Military Cemetery

Born: Stoke, Staffs

Enlisted : Salford, Lancs

Residence: Birmingham

Regards

Pam

Many thanks Pam, i was looking for J. W. not W J Jones, my mistake,

almost going down the wrong road.

much appreciated

Jim

Jim,

There is a photo from a newspaper of a Private John Jones of 18 Peel Street, Eccles in the book. Is this your man? I take it William Joseph Jones is not your man?

Rgds

Tim

Can't be him...he was KIA as well!

Rgds

Tim

Jim,

From looking at your other post I understand you have a John William Jones who served with the Lancashire Fusiliers and survived the war. Do you know anything else about your man? Did he serve in another regiment or was he promoted?

I have looked at the original nominal rolls of the 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers who were also known as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Salford Pals. Unfortunately these lists do not take reinforcements into account. There are no J W Jones's though the following J Jones's are listed.

Incidentally B Coy of the 16th Bn were known as the Eccles Pals so number 2 may be a distinct possibility (if your man left the war as a Sgt).

10274 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 15th Bn - Joseph

15211 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 16th Bn - John - Pte/Sgt on MIC

17234 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 19th Bn - No MIC entry.

18790 Pte J Jones - VII Pl, B Coy, 19th Bn - KIA 01/07/1916

19832 Pte J Jones - IV Pl, A Coy, 20th Bn - John - also Monmouths on MIC

19909 Pte J Jones - V Pl, B Coy, 20th Bn - KIA 10th Bn 12/05/1917

19651 Pte J Jones - X Pl, B Coy, 20th Bn - No MIC entry

Rgds

Tim

Many thanks for your help Tim much appreciated indeed, thanks for checking the original rolls, I did check the Nat Archives mic, and the most interesting one that came up was Pte 37912, John W Jones, Lan Fus, just wondered if his full name mite be on the card? would need the W to be for William. Would the service number give any form of information?

Will email my couson and see if her husband knows a little more, he did say that

his grandfather had 3 or possibly 4 medals, wherabouts now unknown, will also ask why they think he served in another theatre of war other than France, she did say that he was gassed, anyway i'll see what they have to say and let you know any developments.

managed to locate him on the 1891 and 1901 census which puts his age 23 in 1914

and living in Eccles straight after the war.

many thanks Tim

Jim

Jim,

In my experience if they have a middle letter that will be what is on the card itself. The men from the nominal roll without a MIC may have been transferred to another unit, and seen service with them, or may have not gone overseas meaning they were not eligble for medals...thus no MIC.

According to SDGW there are 31 men from the Lancashire Fusiliers with the five digit number commencing 379?? who died. Of these men 18 died with the 2nd Battalion, 5 with the 10th, 4 with the 11th and 1 each with the 1st, 2/7th, 1/8th and 2/5th Battalions.

Rgds

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim, afraid thers not much more they can tell me about him that thy have not already told me, which is not a lot., apart from their fairly certain he ws not promoted from private.

T hey do have his birth certificate and 1891 and 1901 census info on him, which will be handy further along the line.

Don't know if i have done the right thing but i suggested they download the MIC

Pte, 37912, John W Jones, Lan Fus, he seems at the moment about the best option as a candidate.

many thanks for your help Tim

Jim

Just found out that he was in the 13th battalion, on the soldiers daughters birth certificate 16th Feb 1915 it has him being in the 13th battalion lancashire fusiliers.

From what i can gather they did not leave the UK ?

Cheers

jim

Jim,

According to The Long Long Trail they did not leave the UK. They were a reserve battalion responsible for the handling of recruits and sending out reinforcements to other battalions. Unless he was cadre he would likely have transferred to another battalion and seen active service with them. February 1915 was still very early in the war. Are there any other later births you can look at?

Rgds

Tim

So he wouldn't have been a former regular soldier?, and a cadre?, sorry for being so ignorent.

Will certainly check if ther are any later births to look at.

much appreciated Tim

Jim

Jim,

He may have been a former regular and was posted to the 13th Battalion for training before heading off to the front with another battalion. Many former regular soldiers strengthened the service battalions as they initially went off to the war or he may have been posted out as a reinforcement to another battalion which needed him.

He may also have been on the staff (cadre) of the training establishment of the 13th Battalion and remained behind in the UK assisting in training the men who passed through. If you find later births and he is still listed with the battalion I suppose it is a good indication that he remained in the UK in a training position.

No easy answer I am afraid!! He could have been in the UK on the training staff, went off to the war....or both!!

Rgds

Tim