Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identifying uniform

LESLEY H COOK

Hello, 

Please may I ask for help in identifying this uniform please so i can search for records regarding my great grandfather born in Scotland. 

I have attched 2 pictures of him. Are they different unforms and what regiment could he have been in. 

Many thanks 

1369449218_PictureofWillaimStewart1..jpg.6781e8b64afa2b3cfcde2fb522824592.jpg1134223535_PictureofWillaimStewart2..jpg.d4af496ebd5e1f3b9b7786e949d9c58e.jpg1369449218_PictureofWillaimStewart1..jpg.6781e8b64afa2b3cfcde2fb522824592.jpg1134223535_PictureofWillaimStewart2..jpg.d4af496ebd5e1f3b9b7786e949d9c58e.jpg1369449218_PictureofWillaimStewart1..jpg.6781e8b64afa2b3cfcde2fb522824592.jpg 

• Admin

He is a territorial soldier as denoted by the Imperial Service tablet he is wearing, and the shoulder title looks to have 3 parts in the head and shoulders photo. Unfortunately, I can't make out the shoulder title. I'm not great on Scottish badges, but I think he might be Gordon Highlanders. What was his name? 

I agree with Michelle, an auxiliary, Territorial Force (TF) soldier of the Gordon Highlanders.  The regimental kilt, ‘belled’ hose tabs, ‘T’ type shoulder title, and even cap badge can be discerned, albeit with the latter from an acute angle.  I can’t make out the shoulder title number to determine his battalion and it looks like a later example with the ‘T’ removed leaving just the number, which often occurred after 1916 and the introduction of conscription.  There is definitely also a number present in the earlier photo without headdress, but I can’t quite make it out.  In that photo he wears the Imperial Service tablet above his chest pocket, indicating that despite the overriding home defence nature of the TF he is among those soldiers who pledged to serve overseas if called upon.

D276508E-3951-47A1-B3EB-E4D5033BBE5F.jpeg

9A8EE487-DF62-410F-8A3E-4509941F6EE8.jpeg

8B5A85E1-3605-4A14-B8E7-D9C3890856FC.jpeg

F8315741-8B5D-4B4C-B7BF-CB120168FFDB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hello Michelle, 

Thank you for your help. his name was William Stewart, born in Menmuir, Forfar, Scotland and died in 1958 lanarkshire. 

• Admin

Is this the same man? 

Hi Michelle, 

Unfortunately i don't know if it is.

I posted that a little while ago when i was sent the papers, from someone stating it was definitely him.  but i don't know. I thought best if i sent the pictures i have of him on here it would help me find out what regiment he was in and to be able to help find further information about him, especially if people cold see the uniform.   

• Admin

Well you have a definite ID of the uniform now, hopefully you can get some more help. Unfortunately, it's not an unusual name. 

Hi Michelle, 

Thank you. i will start my search again now with this uniform and see if i can find his papers from somewhere.  There are that many sites but at least as you say i have the uniform ID now and thats one positive step forward into finding more about him. 

Thanks again for your help.

Lesley 

From the look of his attestation document he initially joined the 4th (Territorial Force) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry.  Assuming it is the same man in the photographs, then he later served overseas with a TF battalion of the Gordon Highlanders, probably via the training way-station of an Infantry Base Depot in France, where such transfers often took place.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile, thank you so much for your help regarding this. It gives me a good starting point to find more about him and what part he played. You guys know so much. I am in awe. Im simply a beginner just trying to find out about my  G Grandfather so without you i wouldn't have got this far.

Thanks again.

Lesley 

11 minutes ago, LESLEY H COOK said:

Frogsmile, thank you so much for your help regarding this. It gives me a good starting point to find more about him and what part he played. You guys know so much. I am in awe. Im simply a beginner just trying to find out about my  G Grandfather so without you i wouldn't have got this far.

Thanks again.

Lesley 

I’m very pleased to help a little bit Lesley, I always enjoy seeing such photos and it’s one of the boons of the internet that they can quickly be shared in sites like this one and then with the assistance of fellow enthusiasts an interpretation can be made.  Hopefully it helps to ensure that the sacrifice represented by these men is no longer in a dusty drawer and so never forgotten.

NB.  Both of your photos (with and without bonnet) show a curved shoulder title and so definitely do not relate to the HLI, whose title was straight and short (just 3-letter’s).  This does puzzle me as the Imperial Service tablet suggests service in an earlier period before going overseas and yet he wears a curved title.  If there were brothers in the subject family then you will need to take care that they do not become mixed up.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

From the look of his attestation document he initially joined the 4th (Territorial Force) Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry.  Assuming it is the same man in the photographs then he later served overseas with a battalion of the Gordon Highlanders, probably via the training way station of an Infantry Base Depot in France.

Hi Frogsmile, that previous post of his assentation document that Michelle had found and asked about, i don't believe is him unfortunately. But as Michelle says i now have a positve ID for his uniform to start with again. Thank you so much. Lesley 

Just now, LESLEY H COOK said:

Hi Frogsmile, that previous post of his assentation document that Michelle had found and asked about, i don't believe is him unfortunately. But as Michelle says i now have a positve ID for his uniform to start with again. Thank you so much. Lesley 

Thank you, that makes more sense now.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m very pleased to help a little bit Lesley, I always enjoy seeing such photos and it’s one of the boons of the internet that they can quickly be shared in sites like this one and then with the assistance of fellow enthusiasts an interpretation can be made.  Hopefully it helps to ensure that the sacrifice represented by these men is no longer in a dusty drawer and so never forgotten.

It certainly does and I grow prouder everyday finding out about my roots from both side of my family. My Scottish Great Grandfather and my Jamaican Great Grandfather who was BWIR. I have so much to look into, but I am determined to find all i can and cant thank you all enough for your help and guidance from just a picture that has laid for years. 

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Lesley 

I would totally agree that this is a Gordon Highlander for the reasons already cited.  What I find interesting is that his Tam O'Shanter appears to be of diameter that is notably smaller than usually seen.

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

I would totally agree that this is a Gordon Highlander for the reasons already cited.  What I find interesting is that his Tam O'Shanter appears to be of diameter that is notably smaller than usually seen.

I was about to comment on that -- very small.

If it turns out there is a 1/4th Gordons connection let me know and I will have a rummage in my lists. I just did a quick search and don't see anything obvious.

Chris

15 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

I was about to comment on that -- very small.

If it turns out there is a 1/4th Gordons connection let me know and I will have a rummage in my lists. I just did a quick search and don't see anything obvious.

Chris

Yes, it seems to be the size of a Balmoral, but it is definitely a Tam.

There’s no obvious headband to it, so it’s too small for him and fairly obviously perched precariously on top of his head.

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

There’s no obvious headband to it, so it’s too small for him and fairly obviously perched precariously on top of his head.

That is the reason that the badged side of the bonnet is angled outward. If the headband had been pulled over the top of his skull, that side would be upright. 

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

That is the reason that the badged side of the bonnet is angled outward. If the headband had been pulled over the top of his skull, that side would be upright. 

Indeed.  The bonnet is so small that it has to be donned like a plate flat on the head, and so the badge inevitably lays that way.  It’s not unusual with other, similar style headdress worn too small, including a beret.

The headband is worn on the back of the head with the front of the bonnet pulled forward, much like a flat cap would be worn.

1 hour ago, squirrel said:

The headband is worn on the back of the head with the front of the bonnet pulled forward, much like a flat cap would be worn.

I don’t think so, his head is too large for it, but we must be getting a bit desperate for something to say if we start debating the fit of his bonnet!  A better fit is amply demonstrated by the photo of the two Gordon’s above.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
On 27/07/2021 at 13:14, LESLEY H COOK said:

Hi Michelle, 

Thank you. i will start my search again now with this uniform and see if i can find his papers from somewhere.  There are that many sites but at least as you say i have the uniform ID now and thats one positive step forward into finding more about him. 

Thanks again for your help.

Lesley 

@LESLEY H COOKI would suggest that you start a new thread in Soldiers with his name and regiment as this has rather wandered off topic. 

Michelle 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

@LESLEY H COOKI would suggest that you start a new thread in Soldiers with his name and regiment as this has rather wandered off topic. 

Michelle 

Well said, good advice, I couldn’t agree more! :thumbsup:

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 29/07/2021 at 18:45, FROGSMILE said:

Well said, good advice, I couldn’t agree more! :thumbsup:

Apologies Michelle, I wasn't to know it had gone off the topic  i had initially requested help on. I will do as you have advised.