Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Individual Burial Location Map - Biaches

MDPMicahDominicParsons

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could locate the individual burial location map for the area around Biaches? 

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Edited by MicahDominicParsons

• MDPMicahDominicParsons changed the title to Body Density Map - Biaches

Hi Micah,

There are no known Great War body density maps.  However, the term is frequently and commonly misused for post-war Individual Burial Locations, so here is Biaches.  Source is WFA / IWM from the Messer collection.  Below it is a chloropleth from the Somme to Peronne, by way of contrast:

image.png.fb69d66e462097f07e2d7db2b5c9bd03.png

Source is tMapper (old version)

image.png.12ca50b4c00fab949f17851367cf043d.png

Hello WhiteStarLine,

Thank you so much for your help. I have learned something new today. I am rather curious where you manage to find all this information from. I have spent quite a number of hours trying to find post war individual burial locations and have only been able to find links to this website and the quite famous map of High Wood. 

I was wondering if there were any maps that covered the area around La Maisonette or a little further back around Kiboko Wood?

Thank you so much for all your help and support.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

Mate,

Its al so interesting, when was the map made?

My Grandfathers brother was killed in fighting at Mont St Quentin on the 3 Sept 1918 and is still buried there?

S.B

@MicahDominicParsons I will check tonight as I have several maps from the series (IWM / WFA).

@stevebecker the one I posted was the last one in the list:

Body Density series 62C France May 1917 Annotated with cemeteries. Marked Sir Herbert Ellissen on reverse
Body Density series 62C France Dec 1917 Annotated with cemeteries. Marked Sir Herbert Ellissen on reverse
Body Density series 62C France May 1917 Annotated with disinternments and cemeteries. Marked AAM on reverse.  From Messer collection.

8 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Below it is a chloropleth from the Somme to Peronne, by way of contrast:

Interesting! Did you place body density data into tMapper to generate the chloropleth? It's a very compelling way to illustrate what went on.

19 hours ago, MicahDominicParsons said:

around La Maisonette or a little further back around Kiboko Wood?

@MicahDominicParsonsHere is Kikobo Wood and La Maisonnette, roughly centred.  The red markings are hand written notations showing the original concentrations.

@KernelPanic I put it into the 2017 tMapper but didn't get round to adding it to the next version.  I agree it is compelling and sobering.  The original, zoomable version is still at http://old.tmapper.com/mapping/heatmap.php.

For anyone new to these, they represent the number of bodies thought to be present by Directorate of Graves Registration & Enquiries. The highest concentration is 829, at the NZ memorial, north of Longueval.  This does not necessarily correlate with fighting intensity (as theoretically a battlefield might have been cleared in one area and untouched in anotehr) but they certainly tell a grim tale.

image.png.e1e0a3c7cbd757993d93fe7f10d4b97e.png

image.png.a00907be099d894709519fdb683c06af.png

Hello WhiteStarLine,

Thank you so much for posting this individual burial location map for me. I really do appreciate everything that you have done for me.

Best Wishes,

Micah Dominic Parsons

• MDPMicahDominicParsons changed the title to Individual Burial Location Map - Biaches