Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbaye de Chartreux and Convent Wall

Old Forge

Hi all, the 2/Wilts WD for winter 1914/15 includes a period spent on the Bois Grenier sector, with 7th Division holding a section of line between Bridoux and Rouges Bancs. 2/Wilts WD specifically mentions the Abbaye de Chartreux and the Convent Wall. Can anyone point me to any contemporary account containing a description of this area, or any photos?

Many thanks,

Richard

1780049463_TrenchLineXmas14.PNG.0d25f007a33dfa5f1734e0ebba2e6624.PNG

21 Bde Front Xmas 1914.jpg

• Admin

There is a statue of the Virgin and an information board there now, might be some wall still there . There is a local history group around the area who staged exhibitions under the name Box 14-18, but I can't find any literature of theirs at present. 

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

There is a statue of the Virgin and an information board there now, might be some wall still there . There is a local history group around the area who staged exhibitions under the name Box 14-18, but I can't find any literature of theirs at present. 

Brilliant, thanks Michelle, I'll look them up.

• Admin

I think they were based in Fleurbaix.

Ta!

• Admin

When I have got my backside in gear to finish the  housework, I will have a look for any leaflets. 

• Admin

Not finished the cleaning yet, but a lightbulb moment(have to take advantage of these!) , I remembered the name of the Association.

http://latb1418.free.fr/

from delcampe:

535_001.jpg?v=1

855_001.jpg?v=0

If you need a contact for the LATB (l'Alloeu Terre de Batailles, 1914-1918) send me a message. The main man, Bertrand Lecomte, (Laventie) has a lot of info on the area.

Peter

1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment was at La Boutillerie from 23 October to 14 November 1914 and casualties were buried behind a wall in the ruins of the old Abbey.

1.  11668 Alfred Joseph Flint:

https://mitchamwarmemorial.wordpress.com/tag/joseph-flint/

2.  CWGC - Concentration:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/291618/ALFRED JOSEPH FLINT/#&gid=2&pid=1

Flint.jpg.56e4bb02b340a3a92e2261719c4fc44b.jpg

3.  You can download the War Diary from the National Archives - free if you register first:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351994

JP

Edited by helpjpl

@Michelle Young@AOK4@helpjpl @mebu - wow, thank you all so much, wonderful information! So the Abbaye was already a ruin before the war - good to see the illustration in the Mitcham War Memorial account, with the gatehouse clearly recognisable as the same building in the old postcards. The front here must have quietened down a little after 7th Division took over from 6th Division - their casualties are fewer and they regarded it as a 'peaceful' sector. Early snow arrived as they settled in, with white smocks delivered for patrolling - there was discussion as to whether these constituted a 'disguise' (penalty - death) or whether they were a permissible 'ruse de guerre'. 2/Wilts enjoyed the Christmas Truce on this sector, burying the dead and putting up a signboard in the middle of No Man's Land with 'A Merry Xmas' in German. I will visit the area when (if) I get back to Ypres in the autumn. 

@mebu - I'll message your regarding Bertrand Lecomte.

All the best,

Richard