Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was this soldiers trade - Loyal North Lancs?

RedCoat

Hi all,

I am researching a soldier and was wondering what his trade could have been. I am finding it hard to read the writing!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Kind regards

RC

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 11.31.46 pm.png

A 2nd Class G.M.C. I'd guess...

George

Who is he so I can have a look and compare handwriting please?

In this context C usually refers to certificate.  To know the context of the document only partially shown would probably help.  Was he an auxiliary, or regular reservist?  Something vaguely comes to mind as 2nd Class General Military Certificate (of education, i.e. literacy), but I’m not completely sure, as it’s almost a memory of a memory.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, michaelpi said:

General Musketry Course?

I'm with you there michaelpi.  Second Class Shot.

Edited by TullochArd

Yes Annual General Musketry Course perhaps (much later changed to Annual Personal Weapon Test).  That would certainly chime with the period.  As a Loyal North Lancs infantryman in the final analysis musketry was his primary skill requirement.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi guys, 

Thanks for taking a look. Since posting this, I have had a really good look through his records and see he was a Bomber by trade and passed an examination in Bombing in March 1916. Perhaps this "2nd class GMC" is something to do with Grenades? 

Cheers

9 minutes ago, RedCoat said:

I have had a really good look through his records and see he was a Bomber by trade and passed an examination in Bombing in March 1916. Perhaps this "2nd class GMC" is something to do with Grenades? 

Bombers were Riflemen/Bombers - were riflemen first so musketry seems a pretty good bet.

However pre-war servicemen got educational certificates.

Without knowing his name and being able to look for/at his service history it's likely the full power of GWF cannot say much more at the moment I'm afraid.

:-) M

Does this clip from the BNA get us any nearer ?

630652596_Screenshot2021-07-2600_00_39.png.0e0ab86f7ffb427d3a7ee995c4cda928.png

21 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

Does this clip from the BNA get us any nearer ?

Perhaps I spoke too soon - that looks tasty!

:-) M

Here's the specials orders put into action by the Cheshire V.R

from the BNA

1616120688_Screenshot2021-07-2609_12_46.png.504895c69e4e43b2cab99ad649ea2075.png

18 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Is it a G or an S ? eg 2nd class School of Musketry Certificate --if such a thing exists !

I think it is a G, personally, Charlie.  In the context it seems to me that General Musketry Course fits the profile and circumstances.

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

General Musketry Course fits the profile and circumstances.

Yes. Although the 'School of Musketry Certificate' exists and was, I think, a requirement for instructors I have not come across reference to a 2nd Class.

Charlie

6 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Yes. Although the 'School of Musketry Certificate' exists and was, I think, a requirement for instructors I have not come across reference to a 2nd Class.

Charlie

No I haven’t either, although interestingly a 2nd Class certificate was introduced for Signalling during the war I recently discovered.