Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wright Greenwood 4415/306854 2/7th Duke of Wellingtons

PRC

While doing a near number search in connection with another thread, I came across surviving service records for this man.

What I posted for him there was:-

306854 Wright Greenwood. VM & BWM only, plus Silver War Badge (SWB). (MiC) Surviving Discharge records from the 2/7th Battalion effective 7th March 1918. Conscripted 24th March 1916 and posted to the 2/7th Battalion the next day. Original service number 4415. Embarked Southampton 15th January 1917, landed Le Havre 16th January 1917. Had influenza then Phthisis then severe Bronchitis over the late summer of 1917. Medically repatriated to the UK 6th October 1917. Discharged with Pulmonary Tuberculosis. He died post discharge on the 8th August 1919.

To slightly expand it, it looks like he was discharged to sanatorium treatment having been assessed 100% disabled. Following his death there is a note that his treatment allowance is to stop.

I've checked CWGC looking at all W. Greenwood, all instances of the service number 306854 and all deaths recorded for the 8th August 1919.

The death of a Wright Greenwood, aged 42, was recorded in the Halifax District in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1919. No obvious Civil Probate.

So before I go to the expense of getting a death certificate I was just checking:-

• If fresh pairs of eyes could find him on the CWGC website
  • If it's known that a case for him as a non-commemoration is already trickling through the system or if his case has been investigated and dismissed as cause of death is not related to service.
  • Whether a Treatment Allowance would indicate he was still an in-patient.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Whether a Treatment Allowance would indicate he was still an in-patient.

He could be an in or an out patient.

Craig

He's not on the IFCP list. Burial record is on Ancestry, he's at Ovenden (St George) Churchyard.

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

He could be an in or an out patient.

Thank you Craig

1 hour ago, PaulC78 said:

He's not on the IFCP list. Burial record is on Ancestry, he's at Ovenden (St George) Churchyard.

And thank to you Paul :)

I can see my birthday gift of a stash to buy death certificates is going to see another withdrawal !

Cheers,
Peter

Peter,

Almost missed your enquiry!

At WFA/Fold3 - as 306854:

Pension Index Card for his disability claim = he got 27/6 pw 8.3.18 to 10.9.18 [to death - so from 1917 Royal Warrant matches the 100% disability you earlier mentioned in your first post]

and PICs and Pension Ledger Index Card for his mother's dependant's Article 21 claim = she got a 10/- pw pension from 13/8/19 until 21/10/22 when she died so looks as though the MoP accepted the cause was service-related - my money expectation would be on the TB when you get the DC.

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
source & details

The local historians at Calderdale War Dead came up with:

"WRIGHT Pte l/4 DofW 8 Aug l919 207 136 East View, Lee Mt, Hx. Stonemason. In 1916 one of 3 survivors when 20 men were cut off in Bourlon Wood for a week. Gassed and emaciated. His comrades killed by aerial bomb at railhead. Hospital train strafed. Invalided home and treated in various hospitals. Discharged. Died at home. Buried St George's, Lee Mt 12 Aug l919. Aged 42. (WG 9 Aug l919 - says 2/7Bn) SD38 lists a Pte Wright Greenwood of l/4 DofW but says he was KIA 11 0ct l918." 

The 1916 DofW story seems unlikely based on the Service Record but I'd like to see what's actually in WG 9 Aug 1919 before dismissing it ........ however local Stonemason/discharged/died at home 1919 confirms what you already have.  The reference to 1/4 DofW Wright Greenwood is clearly a different man.

1.  WG refers to Halifax Weekly Guardian

2.  207 refers to Halifax Civic Books of Remembrance. Illuminated books in display cases in Victoria Hall, Halifax Town Hall adjacent to Regimental Memorials. 

GREENWOOD, Wright, 306854, West Riding Regt. = From WFA/Fold3 index cards as mentioned above:

His address: 136 East View, Lee Mount, Halifax,

and that of his mother, Mrs Eliza Greenwood: 136 East View Terrace, Old Lee Bank, Halifax 

= Don't you just love such small differences?

:-) M

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

The local historians at Calderdale War Dead came up with:

"WRIGHT Pte l/4 DofW 8 Aug l919 207 136 East View, Lee Mt, Hx. Stonemason. In 1916 one of 3 survivors when 20 men were cut off in Bourlon Wood for a week. Gassed and emaciated. His comrades killed by aerial bomb at railhead. Hospital train strafed. Invalided home and treated in various hospitals. Discharged. Died at home. Buried St George's, Lee Mt 12 Aug l919. Aged 42. (WG 9 Aug l919 - says 2/7Bn) SD38 lists a Pte Wright Greenwood of l/4 DofW but says he was KIA 11 0ct l918." 

The 1916 DofW story seems unlikely based on the Service Record but I'd like to see what's actually in WG 9 Aug 1919 before dismissing it ........ however local Stonemason/discharged/died at home 1919 confirms what you already have.  The reference to 1/4 DofW Wright Greenwood is clearly a different man.

1.  WG refers to Halifax Weekly Guardian

2.  207 refers to Halifax Civic Books of Remembrance. Illuminated books in display cases in Victoria Hall, Halifax Town Hall adjacent to Regimental Memorials. 

I spotted this earlier, the man who died 11 Oct 1918 was also named Wright Greenwood and is listed on CWGC: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1743066/WRIGHT GREENWOOD/

The address on his pension card is 41 Edward Street, King Cross, Halifax. Appears to be a different man though. There are three men with that name living in Halifax in 1911, all a similar age.

2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

........ and PICs and Pension Ledger Index Card for his mother's dependant's Article 21 claim = she got a 10/- pw pension from 13/8/19 until 21/10/22 when she died so looks as though the MoP accepted the cause was service-related - my money expectation would be on the TB when you get the DC.......

You got it Matlock1418.  Service Record medical notes confirm TB as reason for discharge and further states disability is "clearly attributable" to "Service during the present war" 

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

Service Record medical notes confirm TB as reason for discharge and further states disability is "clearly attributable" to "Service during the present war"

I don't think that is in doubt - Now just whether or not Peter is going to spend some of his birthday fund on getting a DC which say that [and confirms what we all probably think is his most likely cause of death].

Go on Peter, you know you want to!  You seem on a roll recently.

;-) M

Family information and estimated date of birth from the service records.

“Record of Service Paper” dated March 24th 1916 shows home address 136 East View Terrace, Old Lee Bank, ‘Hfx’. He was a single man working as a Stone Mason.
“Information supplied by recruit” – Next of kin is his mother, Eliza Greenwood, of 136 East View Terrace, Old Lee Bank, Halifax.
“Medical Report on an Invalid” gives his former occupation as Mason.
“Award Sheet – Disablement Pension” dated 16th February 1918 shows him as single.

Record of Service Paper dated March 24th 1916 shows aged 39 years 115 days.
Age on enlistment (B.103 Form) = 39 years 115 days. Enlisted 24th March 1916.
07/03/1918 Discharge Proceedings – Age 41 years 3 months.

The enlistment age should give a date of birth of the 1st December 1876.
The discharge age would place his date of birth as circa November \ December 1876.

On the 1911 Census of England & Wales there is a 34 year old Wright Greenwood, an unmarried Bricklayer & Stone Mason, born Halifax, who was recorded living at 136 East View, Lee Mount, Halifax. (The enumerator has shown it as 136 Old Lee Bank, Halifax).

This was the household of his widowed mother, Eliza, aged 66 and a Fried Fish + Chipped Potato Shop owner, born Halifax. Eliza states she is running the business ‘at home’.

Eliza has another unmarried son, Arthur Greenwood, (aged 27 and a Joiner & Undertaker, born Halifax), her married daughter Ada Gommersall, (aged 30, Assisting in the Shop ‘At home’, born Halifax) and her grandson Jack Gommersall, (aged 8, born Halifax), living with her.

I didn’t need that to create a Non-commeration case – just wanted to give myself some re-assurance that I was getting the right death certificate. The errors in the Calderdale War Dead piece had made me a bit wary that he had actually died “at home” rather than just on the home front.

3 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

I don't think that is in doubt - Now just whether or not Peter is going to spend some of his birthday fund on getting a DC which say that [and confirms what we all probably think is his most likely cause of death].

Go on Peter, you know you want to! 

Ok you twisted my arm, cash has been splashed :)

Unfortunately the Calderdale site also gives two plots for the burial of Wright in St George's Church, Lee Mount - 490 & 491 (same for mother Eliza and other members of the Greenwood family). http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/x308.html#g

I assume this must be a large family plot.

Thanks for your help folks,
Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Non-commemoration case submitted today as cause of death on the certificate shown as Phthisis.

1762827057_Wright_Greenwooddeathcertificatecrop.jpg.dd2895f1bc604c01a021baf10db3af9a.jpg

(Image courtesy GRO)

I've also written to the owners of the Calderdale War Dead site advising them of the muddle in the entry for Wright Greenwood and asking them if they can pass it on to the documents authors.

Cheers,

Peter

3 hours ago, PRC said:

Non-commemoration case submitted today as cause of death on the certificate shown as Phthisis.

No surprise then.  Happy birthday cash well spent if you can get it through. :-)

Hope you can get it through the CWGC as quickly as you did your last one [remarkably fast in my experience - did you attach any electronic coin with your electronic application in your electronic envelope? ;-) ] - but we know the real wait will be if it gets through to NAM & JCCC as they do seem to be quite backed-up at the moment.

I'm sure you will have put a good case together and know you will keep us informed.  Here's hoping ...

• 4 weeks later...

Heard back from CWGC earlier today that there is sufficient evidence for them to progress and it has been referred for formal adjudication. Reference is ARMY 11284.

So if the day of submission, 8th August 2021, was day 1 of the process, this stage has been reached on day 25.

Cheers,
Peter

18 minutes ago, PRC said:

Heard back from CWGC earlier today that there is sufficient evidence for them to progress and it has been referred for formal adjudication. Reference is ARMY 11284.

So if the day of submission, 8th August 2021, was day 1 of the process, this stage has been reached on day 25.

:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

He's on the latest update posted from Terry Denham of the names added to the WW1 Roll of Honour.

So that's day 455 from the original submission.

We shall remember them,

Peter

Edit to add CWGC webpage link https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/75467893/wright-greenwood/

Edited by PRC

20 hours ago, PRC said:

He's on the latest update posted from Terry Denham of the names added to the WW1 Roll of Honour.

Well done. Excellent news. :poppy:

M

And I had official notification earlier this afternoon that he'd been accepted and an entry created for him on the CWGC database, so the process seems to be working :)

Cheers,
Peter