Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerodromes from June 1917

Gesenius

I am trying to find a list of British aerodromes that were situated in Palestine from june 1917, I do not necessarily need any that were built after December 1917. Specifically looking for ones that were situated in judea,, rather than the Sinai.  Also, trying to discover very approximately the numbers of aircraft that might be stationed at an aerodrome.

Thanking you.

Edited by Gesenius

• Gesenius changed the title to Aerodromes from June 1917

Mate, 

The two main Sqn's operated out of the airfield at Deir el Belah

These two Sqn's being 67 (1 Sqn) AFC and 14 Sqn RFC in June 1917

Other Allied Sqns were not formed or not in Palestine

The Germans were at Ramleh and Junction Station with advance base at Beersheba

1 Sqn AFC shows from Deir el Belah they moved to

Wadi Sheikh Nuran 17-9-17 to 5-12-17

Julis 5-12-17 to 13-12-17

El Mejdel  13-12-17 to 25-4-18

Ramleh  25-4-18 to 3-10-18

Haifa  (C Flight) 25-9-18 to 27-11-18

All lesss A Flight 3-10-18 to 27-11-18

Homs  A Flight 15-10-18 to 25-10-18

Hama  A flight 23-10-18 to 25-11-18

Aleppo 15-10-18 to 5-2-19

The Bristish Sqn's sI am not sure of.

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Hallo Steve, Thanks for this extra information.  I have two aerodromes the main two : Weli Sheikh Nuran (113, and 1 sqdrn) with Capt Crothers in command and Deir el Belah (14, 113, 'B' and 111 sqdrn).  However I have some accounts from pilots and one airfield they took off from on the 7th and 8th december 1917  when no other plane or squadron could operate on these days due to floods and bad weather, this airfield was at Khirbet Deiran.  15 miles west of Jerusalem I believe.  Apparantly there were other airfields.  So I must assume that there were main aerodromes and something like subsidary airfields, temprary type places maybe with a hut or two?  One of the testimonies from a pilot states that : "...all other aerodromes in Palestine were washed out...we were the only planes that flew these two days..." and this was written about the 7th and 8th december 1917.

Have you any idea very approximately the number of aircraft that Allenby had at his disposal for this campaign?

Thankyou

5 hours ago, Gesenius said:

However I have some accounts from pilots and one airfield they took off from on the 7th and 8th december 1917  when no other plane or squadron could operate on these days due to floods and bad weather, this airfield was at Khirbet Deiran.  15 miles west of Jerusalem I believe.  Apparantly there were other airfields.

The map here should give you an idea of the situation on 7th December 1917, including the airstrips being used – see https://archive.org/details/briefrecordofadv00grearich/page/n173/mode/2up 

Also worth checking “The War in the Air...” which can be found here https://ia801604.us.archive.org/29/items/warinairbeingsto05rale/warinairbeingsto05rale.pdf   Chapter 3 covers the early part of the campaign and Chapter 4 'The Fall of Jerusalem'

Edited by michaeldr

7 hours ago, michaeldr said:

The map here should give you an idea of the situation on 7th December 1917

That's perfect Michael thankyou, finally found Khirbet Deiran, pilots mentioned the wadi surar, the fact that they used Egyptian laborours to drag planes up a hill so the pilots could use momentum to take off on the 7th and 8th dec, no other planes from any squadron could fly on these two days.  Thanks for the book too, I never came across these, after weeks of searching I am glad that I decided to join this forum.  So thankyou all for your expertise and knowledge.