Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

27994 Colour Sergeant Charles Waine 18 Welsh Regiment / RFC / RAF

Clive ex RAF plumber

Looking for information on my Great Uncles service with the 18th Welsh Regiment (27994 C/Sgt Charles Waine) family rumour has it he was commissioned in the field for gallantry after his officer was killed.  He was commissioned in the RFC as a 2nd Lt in Sept 1917 as a pilot and stalled his aircraft on landing at night from an anti-submarine patrol at Westward Ho and finished the war with a steel plate in his head and one arm and leg shorter than the other.  He was awarded a British War Medal and Victory Medal which I would dearly love to track down and purchase any help in this regard would be marvellous.  Many thanks Clive    

His commissioning is recorded in the London Gazette of 19 October 1917 in a long list of cadets granted commissions on 25 Sep 1917 as temporary 2 Lts in the RFC which would suggest he was already  serving in the RFC and applied for a commission. Page 10886 | Supplement 30347, 19 October 1917 | London Gazette | The Gazette

His record starting as an officer cadet RFC is at the National Archives: Officer Cadet Charles WAINE Royal Flying Corps. | The National Archives

MaxD

48 minutes ago, Clive ex RAF plumber said:

He was awarded a British War Medal and Victory Medal which I would dearly love to track down and purchase any help in this regard would be marvellous

The British Medals Forum https://britishmedalforum.com have a "Seeking Family Medals" sub-forum once you are registered and logged-in with them..

Good luck.

:-) M

34 minutes ago, MaxD said:

His commissioning is recorded in the London Gazette of 19 October 1917 in a long list of cadets granted commissions on 25 Sep 1917 as temporary 2 Lts in the RFC which would suggest he was already  serving in the RFC and applied for a commission. Page 10886 | Supplement 30347, 19 October 1917 | London Gazette | The Gazette

His record starting as an officer cadet RFC is at the National Archives: Officer Cadet Charles WAINE Royal Flying Corps. | The National Archives

MaxD

Thanks for that MaxD prior to commissioning he served as 27994 Colour Sergeant 18th Welsh (Medal Index Card) and I also read on the internet that he served in France for 12 months, was wounded and then was at Oxford it said studying prior to being commissioned in the RFC.    

• Author
Thanks for that MaxD prior to commissioning he served as 27994 Colour Sergeant 18th Welsh (Medal Index Card) and I also read on the internet that he served in France for 12 months, was wounded and then was at Oxford it said studying prior to being commissioned in the RFC.    

34 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

The British Medals Forum https://britishmedalforum.com have a "Seeking Family Medals" sub-forum once you are registered and logged-in with them..

Good luck.

:-) M

Thanks Matlock will post on there

The Oxford connection is probably his Officer Training Battalion (OTB), which took over one of the complete college facilities. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/training-to-be-a-soldier/officer-training-in-the-british-army-of-1914-1918/

Edited by FROGSMILE

27 minutes ago, Clive ex RAF plumber said:

then was at Oxford it said studying prior to being commissioned in the RFC. 

There were two Officer Cadet Schools at Oxford which may be the origin of the "studying" bit?  (Overlap with my friend Frogsmile!)

MaxD

2 minutes ago, MaxD said:

There were two Officer Cadet Schools at Oxford which may be the origin of the "studying" bit?  (Overlap with my friend Frogsmile!)

MaxD

Great minds Max ;)

The 18 Bn war diary is quite good at recording the movement in and out of officers (named) and soldiers (unnamed) and in the period Feb to Aug 1917 there is only one entry, on 9 Feb,  of "one OR to officer cadet school".  Pure speculation that this is him as it seems a bit early for commissioning in September?

MaxD