Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Notts and Derby Casualty

james drury

his all

just wondered if anyone can help with the medical journey of this chap. 

I know he was wounded on the 26th September 1916 around Thiepval. 

on the 27th to CCS no11

the next bit I'm not too sure about  ......  27/ sept or oct ?  joined ? from hospital  - 14 ...B D ?

6/10/16 joined Bttn fit in field. 

admissions for no 11 ccs have hi admitted on 27th I think 

hes also in the no 2 General Hospital at Havre discharged to duty on the 30/9/16 after 3 days treatment.

not too sure about the calais bit and 14... BD 

any help much appreciated. 

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 23.11.53.png

Looks like:-

27th September 1916. Admitted 11 CCS with sprained ankle and contusion back.
27th September 1916. Medically evacuated from 11 CCS aboard 22 Ambulance Train.
28th September 1916* Admitted No.2 General Hospital, Le Havre. Diagnosis sprained left foot.
30th September 1916. Discharged No.2 General Hospital. To report to Reinforcements Calais. (*Possibly by Bus 01/10/16).
2nd October 1916. Arrived 14 I.B.D. (Infantry Base Depot) at Calais from Hospital.
6th October 1916. Rejoined his Battalion in the field.

( * I looked up the original document on FMP :) )

Hope that helps

Peter

wondering if any one could also help with the following entry - its quite poor so haver tried to enhance ....

S....... leave 12 to 22nd /1/17    Home ??

592907191_Screenshot2021-07-20at17_36_24.png.5ec115320937a1e1b2e66c5e6b22c4c3.png

..and could it have anything to do with the punishment at the bottom of the casualty form  for misconduct. the little cross with dots are on both entries. 

many thanks in advance 

1284195767_gbrmil1914r4pt2_139455-00374copy.jpg.fec15317acce47f2ea4c56c8846dc646.jpg

42 minutes ago, james drury said:

could it have anything to do with the punishment at the bottom of the casualty form  for misconduct.

I think it reads "Granted leave" - But perhaps he was late back ???

Or once back dropped an unrelated clanger and got his FP1 

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo - i really should check better first!

Looks like "Granted leave 12th to 22/1/17"

He comes back off that and on the 9th February 1917 commits the 'Misconduct' in the Field that leads to him receiving 7 days Field Punishment No.1.

I take it you've picked up on him being attached to the 33 Trench Mortar Battery, i.e. the Trench Mortar Battery of the Brigade the 1/9th Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), were in.

The National Archive have only catalogued a separate War Diary for 33 TMB for August to November 1916. https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352626

There will probably be more but in my experience it will turn up either in the Brigade Diary or attached to one of the other units that made up the Brigade.

Cheers
Peter

thank you :-)

yes  - on his service record he is attached to the 33 TMB on 25th June 1917. 

... so I was looking to see why he was disciplined by the 33 TMB OC on 9th Feb 1917 and if/why he might have been with them - may be training or something like that .... 

I will  keep digging 

once again  thanks  - much appreciated :-)

6 minutes ago, james drury said:

so I was looking to see why he was disciplined by the 33 TMB OC on 9th Feb 1917 and if/why he might have been with them - may be training or something like that ....

Unlike the Machine Gunners there was no Trench Mortar Corps, so all men were attached to the Battery as required. They would be drawn from the infantry units that made up the Brigade. There were also Divisional Mortar Batteries firing the larger mortars but they were manned by men from the Royal Field Artillery.

As usual the LLT has a page :)https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/the-british-trench-mortar-batteries-in-the-first-world-war/ or two https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/definitions-of-units/the-light-trench-mortar-battery/

My understanding was that training wasn't done within units, although men could be attached for carrying duties for short periods.

Cheers
Peter