Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another Royal Naval Division site at Antwerp sorted out

Niko

....and looking out of the town, where the Chatham barricade was located.

Please note, although in most accounts this is called the Nethe, it's in fact a Canal, or better the old moat, still known in Lier today as Vest (moat)

247_001.jpg

Excellent, Niko. That places the RMLI battalions in the Lier context perfectly. And you have answered my next question about the waterway. Presumably the West Moat could take barge traffic around the city.

It is fascinating to visit the Google Street View of today at the three locations and I am surprised to see how many of the 1914 buildings survive, especially around the Lisperpoort.

Thanks again.

Thank you, Horatio.

This might be of interest too, these are the ruins of the windmill along the Antwerpsesteenweg, just in front of the extreme western positions of the Plymouth battalion. It was presumably (according to a German caption of one of the photos) destroyed by the British. Which might be logic, as it could be used as a reference and lookout point for the Germans.

Windmill Lier

And don't be fooled about the appearance of Lier today, it suffered horribly in the war, see:

destruction Lier

And yes, the moat was from the industrial revolution onwards, used as a bypass for barges. This shows a barge being offloaded near the Antwerpsepoort. The moat is tidal, as it is connected to the Nete between Mechelsepoort and Molsepoort to the east of the town.

036_001.jpg

Edited by Niko

Unfortunately, due to Copyright issues, I cannot publish this very wel known, beautiful series of pictures showing Royal Marines on the defense of Lier in 1914, just off the Antwerpsesteenweg at Klaplaar.

I was able to pinpoint the exact spot together with local historian Wim Govaerts, the whole series of pictures is taken on the  crossroads of the Antwerpsesteenweg and Donk (google maps).

I'll just put the links here:

MG at Antwerpsesteenweg

002.JPG

Edited by Niko

The other photos in the next links were all taken across the Antwerpsesteenweg on the Donk side of the road, in fact, we were able to pinpoint all the buildings in the background.

RMLI Donk 01

RMLI Donk 02

RMLI Donk 03

And, unfortunately, the same area today, the farm is long gone and new buildings are build along the Donk Road at Klaplaar: (Google maps)

0003.JPG

Edited by Niko

....and, following my last 2 posts, we think this picture is just taken on the 'Donk' side of the Antwerpsesteenweg, across from the other MG post:

(Picture from the online collection of the National Army Museum, map and now photo from Google Maps)

135319.jpg.17f8c58535bad9384d0d48ece1098956.jpg

005.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by Niko

And, being at it, not Royal Marines but the very famous series of pictures taken of the Royal Naval Division on the fortress line at Mortsel-Vieux Dieu (Oude God), just off the Antwerpsesteenweg (Lierre Road in RND Accounts).

I was able, via Getty-Images, to pinpoint the exact spot, between fort4 and the Antwerpsesteenweg, as there is one picture showing a building that is still there (now photo and now map via Google Maps):

RND Mortsel 01

RND Mortsel 02

RND Mortsel 03

RND Mortsel 04

RND Mortsel 05

006.jpg

007.JPG

008.jpg

79091197_2942654275744850_5856430917345607680_n.jpg

Edited by Niko

I've seen that some other pictures that I pinpointed, have gone.

Here's the famous one of soldiers from one of the Naval Brigades in Mortsel-Vieux Dieu (Oude God), Antwerpsesteenweg:

009.jpg

138_001.jpg

010.JPG

And of course the one with the London buses arriving on the Liersesteenweg (Lierre Road), just opposite the town hall from Mortsel. This is the area that unfortunately got hit during the US Army Air Force bombing on April 5, 1943, hence the new buildings:

7044781_orig.jpg

011.JPG

Niko,

A real feast of images and maps. Thank you for posting these and for adding your most helpful interpretation. This adds so much to our understanding of the October 1914 events.