Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German M1916 helmet insignia

Steve2000

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone can identify this insignia from the side of a German M1916 helmet I have. I have also posted it with some other items on a ww2 site. There have been some very helpful replies and suggestions it may be a Prussian unit as it is white and black. I still haven't found any similar pictures online and the Prussian example didn't have the two black stripes from what I can see?

Helmet1.jpeg

Perhaps @The Prussian or @GreyC might be able to help.

I have had a look into a handbook of German Reichswehr Uniforms which lists helmet crests, to no avail. Prussia looked different.

GreyC

20 hours ago, GreyC said:

I have had a look into a handbook of German Reichswehr Uniforms which lists helmet crests, to no avail. Prussia looked different.

GreyC

Thank you GreyC, appreciate you taking the time to look for me.

Is that a decal or painted on? And which side of the helmet is it on? I can't tell if I'm seeing the right side of an M18 helmet (liner attachment pin forward) or the left side of an Austrian M17 helmet (chinstrap attachment rivet to the rear)

It looks like a TR-era national shield that has been painted over

Edited by FtrPlt

4 hours ago, FtrPlt said:

Is that a decal or painted on? And which side of the helmet is it on? I can't tell if I'm seeing the right side of an M18 helmet (liner attachment pin forward) or the left side of an Austrian M17 helmet (chinstrap attachment rivet to the rear)

It looks like a TR-era national shield that has been painted over

Thanks for your reply, I have attached a bigger picture if that helps, sorry, it's still not the best pic. It appears to be painted on to me. 

Helmet2.png

Thanks for the additional photo. Does the helmet still have its liner? Curious if it has an M31 liner system, which would make this a Reichswehr-era lid. 

6 hours ago, FtrPlt said:

Thanks for the additional photo. Does the helmet still have its liner? Curious if it has an M31 liner system, which would make this a Reichswehr-era lid. 

I don't think it had the liner from memory but I will check, I didn't have enough space for all the stuff in the house so some is wrapped up and stored in the garage. It may well be but all the similar ones I have seen have the black white and red.

Cheers

The split pins appear to be present so hoping at least the liner band itself might still be there. 

It's an interesting shield as the state shields were mostly two colors -- eg Prussia would be whie/black

The white segment mimics the later TR-era national shield in the way it bisects the upper right corner.

I've made some enquiries to folks with way more knowledge about the inter-war years -- Freikorps/Weimar/Reichswehr era.

10 hours ago, FtrPlt said:

The split pins appear to be present so hoping at least the liner band itself might still be there. 

It's an interesting shield as the state shields were mostly two colors -- eg Prussia would be whie/black

The white segment mimics the later TR-era national shield in the way it bisects the upper right corner.

I've made some enquiries to folks with way more knowledge about the inter-war years -- Freikorps/Weimar/Reichswehr era.

Hi FtrPlt,

Thanks for your help so far, I have attached a few pics of the inside. I presume that is what you meant by the liner band that can be seen in the pic?Helmet5.jpeg.4f2670cb72e2bb8bffcdcd772b3d99d9.jpeg

helmet6.jpeg

helmet7.jpeg