Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombay Presidency General Hospital Unit in Alexandria, Egypt

Sarah Snow

On 16/07/2021 at 14:17, MaureenE said:

Is it possible that the ARRC was awarded retrospectively,  and that the service in Iraq was prior to 1927,

That was very much how I read it. Her award was with another Sister and , to me, covered service over a period of time up to  probably 1926.

On 15/07/2021 at 13:01, royalredcross said:

She would appear to be one of the numerous "Temporary" nurses employed on rolling 6 month contracts by the Indian government because they were too parsimonious to appoint any more regular nurses to Queen Alexandra's Military Nursing Service for India.    Many of them, like Emily, served years during and after the war and eventually joined the new Indian Military Nursing Service when it was formed in 1926.  Though her ARRC was awarded for service in Iraq in 1927, she does not appear to have done so as she is not shown in the 1927 Indian Army List.  It would be interesting to see how her India General Service Medal is named on the rim. 

Interesting background info. I think she retired in 1927 ?

Here, courtesy LondonGazette, is the entry:

783712495_GWFHodeEDARRCmedal.JPG.ce148f43dfd6ed3862dd50c3125296d6.JPG

• 2 years later...

Sarah:  We are looking for information regarding Ethel Hutchins a Nurse in the Bombay Presidency General Hospital (we noticed her name listed on your sheet).  My wife's great uncle died in this hospital unit on 9 September 1915 and Miss Hutchins wrote a very nice letter to his mother regarding his final days.  We are curious if you came across her name during your search for Emily Dela Hoyd.  Thanks,

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Sarah Snow last visited the forum recently, so with my tag she should see your post.