Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The life and death of Manfred von Richthofen (The Red Baron) on Google Maps

Hein Poblome

I made a map of the life and death of Manfred von Richthofen on Google Maps. It visualizes all the important facts in this hero's life.

It is based on excerpts (sometimes in German) of his own autobiography, the diary of his mother Kunigunde, the diary of Bodenschatz his adjutant and some others.

I am in the process of loading pictures, but you can already enjoy the map here: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1GabkevRda5817OIsUs7r8t7tm8drvPSD&usp=sharing

Enjoy.

Hein, welcome to the forum.  That is a stunning work, very comprehensive, so well done!

Dear Hein,

Well done. His growing up in a Schloss must have made a huge impression, quite apart from his aristocratic family heritage.

I was unaware that the Schloss had to be sold due to financial difficulties, for example, so thanks for that - and all the other information.

Although an Australian, I live in Germany and speak the language...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

About the languages. I want to leave it as original as possible, hence the Dutch and German. I assumed everyone knows how to use Google translate, and secondly most of the books have already been translated in English.

On the other hand, I do plan to include translations into English, bear with me, first I am uploading pictures and that is a slow process.

Thanks for the support, spread the word.

• 2 weeks later...

Did he really study in Oxford? I don't think so. He was an active officer in the army.

There were plenty of von Richthofens in Germany.

Jan

Just to point out that the newspaper articles about MvR's presence are all not correct (yet this incorrect information keeps popping up, a sign of most people's blind and completely overrated belief in the absolute truth of google and the internet):

See also: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38042

Jan

There is a fascinating link between the deaths of Von R and Mannock.  Both were highly effective pilots, trainers and leaders yet both died as a consequence of following an enemy aircraft down. Although this practice was originally promoted as a policy in Boelcke's dicta by the time of their deaths the practice was judged bad and foolish combat practice. A recent analysis of Von R's medical records have judged that he was unfit to fly when he undertook his last mission. Notes made by his mother revealed his strangely different behaviour after he suffered a head wound. Mannock's increasingly odd behaviour was also noted Ira Jones book on Mannock  King of the Air fighters which revealed Mannock's increasingly strange behaviour before he was killed. It would seem that both of the driven men were "war weary" and suffering from seriously impaired judgement at the time of their deaths.  

9 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Just to point out that the newspaper articles about MvR's presence are all not correct (yet this incorrect information keeps popping up, a sign of most people's blind and completely overrated belief in the absolute truth of google and the internet):

See also: http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38042

Jan

It seems a Baron Von Richthofen was at Lincoln College Oxford prewar... according to this December 1914 article in The Broad Arrow. I can only assume there were more than one Baron von Richthofen's.

Snap 2021-07-22 at 22.38.47.png

The Graphic made the same mistake in 1918...perhaps that was where the misinformation started?

Snap 2021-07-22 at 22.58.03.png

Edited by sadbrewer

11 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Baron Von Richthofen was at Lincoln College Oxford prewar..

I am not sure whether a 4-v set of books called Alumni Oxonienses covers the period, but they are available on archive.org. I will try to remember to check them later.

sJ

There were dozens of von Richthofens all over Germany (and probably outside of Germany as well), the one at Oxford wasn't Manfred as he was an active officer serving in the Prussian army.