Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frostbite

alanthevet

How common was frostbite for pilots and observers?

I presume that they would have worn gloves, but maybe the hands would have still have been very exposed (especially in the observers position when handling a gun.)

Alan

Aircrew wore protective clothing against the affects of cold while flying, and dressed just before take off, so as to reduce the chance of perspiration from the clothing while on the ground - the moisture would freeze at altitude. In theory, the combination of silk and cellular underwear, a shirt, pullovers, wool-lined Sidcot suit, muskrat-lined gauntlets, fur-lined helmet and goggles, etc would provide protection from the cold. Potentially exposed facial skin was rubbed with whale-oil and then covered by a non-absorbent dog or wolverine skin mask.

Most of the tasks expected of airmen could be performed (with a fair degree of difficulty!) while wearing gauntlets.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Alan

My Grandfather caught frost bite in his cheeks when flying over the kyber pass in a Bristol fighter. Sorry I can't tell you if it was common or a one off though.

This might be of interest to you, from his flight manual there are some hints and tips on clothing from a leacture by Lt Brockman on Hints for Observers. I like the idea of Granddad flying into battle with a baked potato in his pocket.

Helmet

A good plan is to cut off neck portion of helmet as when flying it generally prevents helmet from turning with head. Cover neck by silk scarf then wind woollen scarf round neck + leave it loose, pull up over bottom part of face as far as nose then put on the flying coat.

Ease face with vaseline when flying at 20,000ft.

Goggles

Combine with face mask if possible. "Triplex" glass is the best, tinted.

Anti-dim or glasso used on glass prevents same from getting fogged for about 1.5 hours. Afterwards use handkerchief.

Flying Coat

The flying coat is exchanged overseas for a Sidcot Flying Suit.

To Keep Feet Warm

Wear golosses or overshoes over boots. Silk socks should be worn next to skin + woolen socks over the same. If flying boots are too large wear extra pair or two of socks.

Hands

Wear pair of mittens orsilk gloves underneath gauntlets. The flaps on back of gauntlets should be cut off as they are likely tocome unfastened + therefore get in the way.

A hot baked potato could be put in coat pocket + taken out when hands begin to numb.

Matt

Excellent.

My granduncle too complained of frostbite - in his fingers. He was an observer in a DH4 with 57 squadron. It put him out of action for a few weeks in October 1917. He wrote a letter home during that period and it was an awful scrawl!

The reason I ask is that, after my granduncle was killed, the family got a letter from a friend of his who was an observer in 25 Squadron. He too was laid up with frostbite! He flew in a DH4 also.

Alan