Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M1909 patronentashes

Deges

I've got these German G98 ammopouches. I can't seem to read the stamp on one of them.. Does anyone have a link where there's a list of (leather) manufacturers from that era? What makes an ammo pouch more special/collectable? Condition, (rare) manufacturer, named,... Others? Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210711_144004.jpg

IMG_20210711_144036.jpg

IMG_20210711_144041.jpg

IMG_20210711_144051.jpg

IMG_20210711_144041.jpg

IMG_20210711_144058.jpg

Certainly nice pieces of Patronentaschen, ammo pouches of WW1 is harder to find as the WW2, i assume the third have missing straps on pouches, the  makers are clear to read. Second one should be looked from side as not readable fully on that picture.

Hi, thanks for your respons. Indeed the third one is missing its straps, it was in a lot with the third one.. But I can't seem to read the second one.. 

..... WIN

.. BERLIN maybe? 

It was easier if there was a list.. Already searched this forum, but maybe I didn't use the right words🙈

I haven't seen such a list before. There must have been hundreds of makers, I guess.

Jan

Yes the end of producer looks like ..win,about Berlin hard to say.

It's something Erwin from Neukölln.

2 minutes ago, AndyBsk said:

Yes ..UG Erwin, Neukoelln should be correct.

BING ERWIN perhaps?

Thank you guys! I see now, you could be wright! 

Too bad there isn't a list anywhere, didn't geuss there would be that much.. But if you think about, it seems logical.. 

I will search further with this info! 

Again, thanks for your input👌👌

On 11/07/2021 at 20:33, AOK4 said:

There must have been hundreds of makers, I guess.

Very true.

Countless small saddleries, shoemakers .....etc.,  made leather gear for the German Army. A complete list of all makers would be nearly endless.

Attached photos show the "staff" of such a small saddlery from the Sieg (river) area early in the war. You can see belts, rifle slings and ammo pouches.

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

Yes, a fine photograph! Thanks!

I suspect there was a similar 'Hütte Industrie' among scissor-makers, etc., to the manufacture of 'ersatz' bayonets but have never been able to prove it....

Edited by trajan

Wow, indeed lovely photographs. They breathe history! I love photos that just give such a lovely reflection of history. 

Thank you for this input.  

So is it good to say that just condition is more collectable, pricewise? 

I buy what I like, but it's always good to know what marketprices are.. I've seen pouches been sold 125+, even a mint one asking price 200+ but also for a lot less.. I paid 40 for the one on the right and the lower one. Just saying.. 

I know it's all relative, and I'm asking for the future that I don't want to get burned..🙈

Edited by Deges

About prices its difficult, i got M1909 from WW2 for 30€, so i assume a WW1 would be higher in good condition, but 100 over is little strange, but some people could it offer.

Yes, that's why I'm asking🙈 I don't think I would pay topdollar unless it's something I really love to have in the collection (as we all:)) but I was just curious because the differences were so big.. But thank you!

I also bought from the same guy these two from ww2, with clips and inert ammo.. Fyi:) 

IMG_20210711_144238.jpg

IMG_20210711_144248.jpg

IMG_20210711_144258.jpg

IMG_20210711_144309.jpg

IMG_20210711_145046.jpg

Yes early pouches, inside is penciled name of the owner probably, early ammo P marked strips.

On 18/07/2021 at 18:24, Deges said:

So is it good to say that just condition is more collectable, pricewise? 

It depends on your own preferences. I for example prefer early ammo pouches with unit stamps. Condition is secondary.

On 18/07/2021 at 18:53, AndyBsk said:

.... i got M1909 from WW2 ...

The WWII pouches are the M1911 Pattern or "Kleine Patronentasche". 

In 1924 the Pattern 1911 ammo pouches were declared as standard ammo pouches for all branches of the Reichswehr. Old M1909 pouches had to be used up.

The earliest (post WWI manufactured) pouch I have in my collection is dated 1926.

Pre 1935 dated pouches are very tough to find.