Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pte John william Jones Lan Fus

mcfc1923

Would be grateful for any info on my couson's relative, Private John William Jones Lan Fus, India? Galipolli? Egypt? westernfront.

The only other info she gave me was that he was gassed but survived, born 10th Feb 1891, at patricroft, Eccles, manchester.

cheers pals

jim

Hi Jim,

A search of MICs finds one Pte. and one Cpl. with middle name William:

Pte. John William Jones, 8938 Royal Lancaster Regiment and 49270 Lancashire Fusiliers

Cpl. John William Jones, 12262 Lancashire Fusiliers

There are also two with the middle initial W:

Pte. John W Jones, 107 Lancashire Fusiliers

Pte. John W Jones, 37912 Lancashire Fusiliers

Stuart

Hello again,

Sorry, I was an hour late!

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, much appreciated. he survived the war so it's not 107 Jones, found him on the cwgc, what would you suggest i advice her to do next, would appreciate any tips.

cheers Stuart

jim

Hi Jim,

It's certainly not a surname that you would want to have to trawl through microfilm after microfilm in the hope of finding his service record!

Perhaps if he was gassed badly enough he may have been discharged and the discharge would possibly be noted on his MIC. Perhaps your cousin should download (or find someone who's going to the NA or FRC) the MIC of the possible John W Jones' to see if there is any mention of a discharge.

I'm fairly new to this myself (more experienced on the genealogy side of things), perhaps some of the 'old' hands will be a better bet for ideas. One thing I would say is to try and get a bit more information out of her - maybe she knows more than she thinks? The more info you start with, the better your chance of achieving a positive result. I should know, without a regimental number, I'm still struggling to pin down my own grandfather to a specific Highland Light Infantry battalion (see 'Soldiers' section: A Highland Light Infantry soldier?).

All the best,

Stuart

checked out your thread, see what you mean, it ain't easy that's for sure.

will check with my couson and see if she has any more info.

Tim off the forum found a jones w. j. 10784 pte lan fus for me but his mic did not come up when i checked at the nat archives at ther website, still, will carry on regardless.

cheers Stuart

jim

Jim,

10784 Pte Jones, Lancashire Fusiliers is found at DocumentsOnline, but he is William J, not John William.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, received a similar message from one of the pals, letting me know that he died on the somme.

If ther is so many Jones about, why can't i find the one i want :D

thanks Stuart

jim

Jim,

From looking at your other post I understand you have a John William Jones who served with the Lancashire Fusiliers and survived the war. Do you know anything else about your man? Did he serve in another regiment or was he promoted? If he served in India, Egypt, Gallipoli and France/Flanders he was almost certainly in the 1st Battalion as they were in Karachi at the start of the war.

In the meantime I have looked at the original nominal rolls of the 15th, 16th, 19th and 20th Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers who were also known as the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Salford Pals. Unfortunately these lists do not take reinforcements into account. There are no J W Jones's though the following J Jones's are listed.

Incidentally B Coy of the 16th Bn were known as the Eccles Pals so number 2 may be a distinct possibility (if your man left the war as a Sgt).

10274 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 15th Bn - Joseph

15211 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 16th Bn - John - Pte/Sgt on MIC

17234 Pte J Jones - VI Pl, B Coy, 19th Bn - No MIC entry.

18790 Pte J Jones - VII Pl, B Coy, 19th Bn - KIA 01/07/1916

19832 Pte J Jones - IV Pl, A Coy, 20th Bn - John - also Monmouths on MIC

19909 Pte J Jones - V Pl, B Coy, 20th Bn - KIA 10th Bn 12/05/1917

19651 Pte J Jones - X Pl, B Coy, 20th Bn - No MIC entry

Rgds

Tim