Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Langton's musical inscription

bobpike

In a previous correspondence, I think with Kate, there was discussion on Langton's musical inscription. Well, here it is (hopefully). Apologies if this has been posted before

post-19-1110290513.jpg

Guest Hill 60

I saw this grave a couple of years ago when some kindly Belgians took me on a tour of the battlefields and cemeteries.

Last year I was at a WFA lecture and a lady from Birmingham University (can't remember her name) gave a talk about the inscriptions on CWGC headstones.

She stated that only words and not figures could be used, and she was most suprised when I pointed out during the Q&As that there was this headstone with the musical notes on it.

So, what's the tune?

I am not convinced by that at all. 'After the Ball' is in waltz time, whereas the inscription is in common/march time. Take a look here

Also, unless 'Ater the Ball' had some significance for Langton and his family, why choose that in favour of the classical pieces he played. I think we are looking for something a little more profound and (dare I say) spohisticated; though, like the Enigma of Elgar's Variations, anything is possible.