Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Grave Location For Unknown Soldiers

Jrmh

Does anyone know how to find the Plot, Row and Grave location for all unknown soldiers of a specific Regiment in a Cemetery?

The search function on the CWGC website only lists those of identified casualties. 

Thanks

IMG_4081.JPG

• Admin

As they are unknown they can't be searched in the Cemetery.

I'd suggest a time consuming effort could be to identify the named cemetery which may or may not give under Cemetery details the number of 'unknowns'.

Then draw up or download a plan of the cemetery.  Then go to each casualty grave registration sheet and work through them in turn until unknowns are mentioned on the page.

e.g. as here on this random example which shows two unknownsScreenshot 2021-07-05 at 09.22.52.png

As your interest is the Artist's Rifles you could find concentrations of casualties from that battalion.  You could also look at he concentration reports for those around him which also lists 'unknowns' recovered at the same time.

A little more information as to what you are trying to establish might give more informed guidance.

The Canadian War Graves project had a method which involved downloading all the cemetery registration forms in bulk - these show all of the graves, including the unknown ones but it's a case of manually searching.

Craig

Thanks kenf48.

I have stood at the graves of many of those who my grandfathers served alongside to pay my respects and to photograph their headstones for the Lives of the First World War. 

If I had a list of those unidentified I could have stood at their graves too.

Jim

Thanks Craig.

I had a quick search for said project but couldn’t find anything - it may serve my purpose.

Any suggestions where I might find it.

Jim

8 minutes ago, Jrmh said:

Thanks Craig.

I had a quick search for said project but couldn’t find anything - it may serve my purpose.

Any suggestions where I might find it.

Jim

Jim, 

if you look at the section called Cemeteries and Memorials on this forum and then a sub forum called Recovering the fallen. 

the first item that appears is a pinned post, CEFSG is the one you need

I’ll have a look.  Thank you.