Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Liverpool: any memorials to an RFC casualty?

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

I have gathered a good amount of information about a Royal Flying Corps casualty who came from Liverpool, but am wondering whether he has memorials in his home area?  Sadly the Merseyside Roll of Honour website seems to be out of commission, so I'm hoping that members might be aware of mentions of him locally.  He doesn't appear to be on the Liverpool Hall of Remembrance site. 

He was Thomas Henry Sutcliffe, born Fleet Street, St.George's Liverpool 1892, baptised St.Peter's Church, and his family seems to have resided there at No.45 in the 1881 and 1891 Censuses.  His father died 1896 but they may have moved previously as the probate record gives him as Slater Street.  The 1901 census has the family at 69 Ferndale Road, Wavertree.  

In 1911 his mother was resident 17 Lichfield Rd., Church Road, Wavertree.  In Sept. 1914 he enlisted in the RFC, giving his occupation as "Engine tester" and stating that he had resided away from his fathers house for 3 years or more, entering the address 34 Slater Street, Liverpool.  He stated he had been an apprentice to ?T.Leo & Co. Liverpool "2 years time expired".  When he was killed in June 1915, a local newspaper obit stated he had formerly been resident 86 Berkley Street, Liverpool, and subsequently Allerton.  It said he had apparently worked with a motor car firm in Liverpool, and before the war was engaged in an aeroplane works in Paris.  

His mother seems to have moved to Anglesey by 1914, and he is sometimes stated to have been resident there, but has no memorials on that island.  I'm hoping that the Liverpool references I've picked up may lead to mentions on war memorials there.

Many thanks

Clive

Hi Clive,

The majority of the content of the Merseyside Roll of Honour was based on work carried out many years ago, partly by myself, but primarily by two amazing gentlemen, sadly now both deceased. I still have my original source database on which the web site was based.

The only reference to Thomas Henry Sutcliffe was a commemoration on

Granby Street School Memorial, now removed from school and last known to be in private hands

Promenade

Clive, I can't add much to T.H.Sutcliffe DCM but one of the addresses he gives at 34 Slater St is a business named W.Statham & Co., automobile engineers (from Gores 1914).

Edit: the ?T.Leo and Co. is possibly Negri Leo & Co., General Merchants, Queen Insurance Building, Dale St

Might be worth gathering up the evidence and sending it to the Town Hall, they may add his name to the panels.

good luck

Dave

Edited by davidbohl
Leo and Co.

Promenade, it's good to know that something of the knowledge behind the roll of honour site survives, and I'm obliged for the reference to the School memorial you mention.

DavidOwen, I'll check those names out, but even if they aren't the man in question thanks for bothering to look up that source - it hadn't dawned on me that the War memorial register was searchable by name.  Opens up other possibilities!   The firm's details on his enlistment papers do look more like T.Leo (unless it was ?Theo & Co.), Liverpool.  A brother was a junior clerk at a motor engineers works in the 1911 census, and in 1901 two older brothers were apprentices to unnamed cabinet makers and electrical engineers.  It's very useful to have those details from Anfield Cemetery. 

PaulC78, I have underestimated the value of FindAGrave, and believe it or not it was pointed out to me yesterday when I was wanting Sutcliffe's mother's grave inscription over on the North Wales coast - FAG had an image, which confirmed that only she was named on that memorial.   

Thank you one and all folks!

Apologies Dave, I've somehow responded to your comments without thanking you by name.  If the Town Hall are open to amendments in the Hall of Remembrance I'll be glad to let them have what evidence I've got.

Cheers,

Clive

Clive, the contact form for the Hall of Remembrance is here https://www.liverpooltownhall.co.uk/hall-of-remembrance/

Years ago it used to be a dedicated form for "missing soldiers" but this is a general contact form now, under the "other" category just do your best to attract their attention. If nothing happens I will hand deliver the info for you.

Once again good luck.

Dave

That's very kind of you once again Dave.

Clive