Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First world war medals

dennis cloughley

I am trying to locate my grandfather's medals of the Great war I have very little information and would like to know if any of you people on this forum can help me or point me in the right direction to retrieve them as I am getting on in years I would like to retrieve them for my son 

You'd need to start by providing his name and Army number.  then an expert here will search the Medal Index Cards to see what were issued to him.

Good luck with your search.

On 30/06/2021 at 22:08, Interested said:

You'd need to start by providing his name and Army number.  then an expert here will search the Medal Index Cards to see what were issued to him.

His name is Cyril James retalic his regiment was the royal Irish fusiliers and was a corporal in 1915 not too sure about his army number have 7935

On 30/06/2021 at 22:08, Interested said:

Hi Dennis
Here is a list of names on my(see above)……, this is a thread where Pals can, if they so wish, register their ownership of medals. After sterling work by a previous Pal, I have taken ownership and have created a spreadsheet with all the medals listed.  On page 31, about half way down,there is a link to the spreadsheet on Dropbox. I am about to put a revised copy on but I can say that from the information you have provided your relative does not feature as a medal held by anyone offering the information.

Just for information the listing is not an invitation to buy and sale, that would need private messaging between parties. Hope that this will save a bit of digging around on the Forum.

John

Cpl Cyril J Retalic  7935  Royal Irish Fusiliers  enlisted 24/3/1903 he entered the theatre of war on the 22/8/1914 and was discharged from duty aged 30 on the 2/3/1915 (reason sickness) awarded the silver war badge No 263-389  medal entitlement 14 star BWM and VM

Ray

Edited by RaySearching
typo

The reason for Cyril's discharge from service is given as

cyril.JPG.cfa5b11dc354a1773d396d025385b796.JPG

Source Western Front pension doc on Ancestry

which I am sure our forum medics will interpret

Ray

Well done Knotty!!

36 minutes ago, RaySearching said:

Cpl Cyril J Retalic  7935  Royal Irish Fusiliers  enlisted 24/3/1903 he entered the theatre of war on the 22/8/1914 and was discharged from duty aged 30 on the 2/3/1915 (reason sickness) awarded the silver war badge No 263-389  medal entitlement 14 star BWM and VM

Absolutely nothing to do with medals ...

I can tell you a wee bit more from a pension ledger index card at WFA/Fold3 that he made a pension claim for a "Perforation of Membrane Tympani" [Perforated eardrum] - no record of what the claim quantum outcome was though it commenced on 3/3/15 and on other index cards the addresses of Iveagh Cottage, Clones and 1 Clonavon Avenue Portadown, Co. Armagh appear.  On another pension ledger index card his disability [so far as employment was concerned] was classed in 1920 as 40% for which he got 16/- pw - this was made permanent for life from 17/1/23 [11/10 W & 3 whilst eligible - rather looks like for a wife and kids (latter to age 16)]

:-) M

Edit:

We crossed - @RaySearchingjust beat me with the condition and has provided the image evidence! - I hope the additional info is of interest.

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit & correction of member

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Well done Knotty!!

Regarding medals ...

One place you could try is the British Medals Forum https://britishmedalforum.com - They have a 'Seeking Family Medals' sub-forum

:-) M

Discharged for perforated ear-drums?

Regards,

JMB

[EDIT: Sorry, have just seen this on the earlier post!]

Edited by JMB1943

On 02/07/2021 at 20:42, RaySearching said:

The reason for Cyril's discharge from service is given as

cyril.JPG.cfa5b11dc354a1773d396d025385b796.JPG

Source Western Front pension doc on Ancestry

which I am sure our forum medics will interpret

Ray