Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle Guide Virtual Tours

Skipman

Well don't knock me over in the rush. Is this old news to everyone. Is this not the future? Anyway have booked a catchup tour look forward to watching it.

Mike

Mike,

This is certainly news to me, so thanks for posting.

I have just watched the introductory 5-min demo, and since I am never going to be able to take a live, feet-on-the-ground tour I certainly would call it a fantastic application of technology.

Regards,

JMB

Thanks JMB. It looks great and I  will watch one shortly (Kohima WW2) actually, but am sure the WW1 tours will be very useful. Looks like something other guides could do.

Mike

Brilliant!

There's another video here that shows what a tour would be like. Not sure if you have to register to see this but it shows just how useful this format can be. This video on the battle at Nimey and the retreat from Mons is really helpful in explaining the battle. Great stuff.

Mike

https://battleguide.co.uk/military-tours/

thanks Mike, 

on a week off this week otherwise  would have been over for our third visit this year. will give me something to watch next week on nights.

3 hours ago, chaz said:

thanks Mike, 

on a week off this week otherwise  would have been over for our third visit this year. will give me something to watch next week on nights.

Can you watch them "on demand?" I got the impression they were just at set times, typically mid-a.m. or p.m.

7 hours ago, sassenach said:

Can you watch them "on demand?" I got the impression they were just at set times, typically mid-a.m. or p.m.

I'm not up to speed on it all yet. I wanted to watch one on Kohima but it was apparently a private tour. I think you choose a time to view and they give a few options. I have one in the bank as it were so will let you know when choose a tour. It looks a fantastic way to study though.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

10 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I'm not up to speed on it all yet. I wanted to watch one on Kohima but it was apparently a private tour. I think you choose a time to view and they give a few options. I have one in the bak as it were so will let you know when choose a tour. It looks a fantastic way to study though.

Mike

Reading a bit more it does seem to suggest that after completing the "tour" you can watch again for a limited time. But it's not entirely clear. I'd certainly be interested to know what you think if you use them.

There are six archived editions,, all of WW1 interest in the members section of the WFA website.

Malcolm 

I believe there are a limited amount of spaces if you wish to watch " live " . You have to register via the WFA , these have to be paid for . They are available to watch for free a couple of days later on the WFA website if you are a member

Just to say that I had an email from the tour company advising that from 11 July they would operate one tour per week instead of two. It will be on a Sunday at 1930.

They also state that any tour that you book is accessible for a month, a point on which I, at least, wasn't clear. 

I'm watching the 2nd Ypres one at 19.30 on Sunday. I wonder if they might make them available on DVD for future study. I will put it to them.

Mike

Watched the Second Battle of Ypres virtual tour. Excellent, really enjoyed it and certainly helped to see the bigger picture. Well worth the £20 and I will definitely join other tours. Hopefully other WW1 experts can take up this new version of touring battlefields, using drones, google street view, Linesman etc

Mike

• 1 year later...
On 04/07/2021 at 21:51, Skipman said:

Watched the Second Battle of Ypres virtual tour. Excellent, really enjoyed it and certainly helped to see the bigger picture. Well worth the £20 and I will definitely join other tours. Hopefully other WW1 experts can take up this new version of touring battlefields, using drones, google street view, Linesman etc

Mike

Thanks for the recommendation.

I missed the original post so great that have brought it back to prominence. 

Ian

• 7 months later...