Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Dublin Fusiliers

charlesmessenger

I was looking today at the war diary of 10th Royal Dublin Fusiliers (W0 95/3118). It states that the battalion was initially `2nd Reserve Bn' RDF, but became the 10th Bn on 11 February 1916, while it was in Dublin. It crossed to England on 6 August, completed its mobilisation at Pirbright and went to France on 18 August, joining 63rd (Royal Naval) Division.

Cross-checking with Brig E A James `British Regiments of 1914-1918', I see that neither 3rd (Reserve), 4th (Extra Reserve), or 5th (Extra Reserve) Bns were stationed in Dublin in Feb 1916, unless Templemore, where the 4th Bn was based, can be counted as being in the city. James also claims that the 10th Bn was formed in Dublin at the end of 1915, but thereafter his detail mirrors that of the war diary.

James also indicates that none of the three Reserve bns ceased to exist until summer 1918 and, indeed, that a forth Reserve Bn (11th) was raised in Dublin in July 1916, jus before the 10th moved to England.

It is unlikely that the war diary is wrong, and my tentative conclusion is that the 10th Bn was formed from Category A members of one or more of the Reserve bns (but which?).

Is someone able to resolve this tangle?

A puzzled Charles M

The 10th Dubs had a magazine "The Blackthorn" only 1 or 2 issues were published I have a copy upstairs of the first issue so I will have a look as I think it gives some details about the raising of the battalion etc.

Conor :D

• 19 years later...
On 13/06/2003 at 20:34, Conor Dodd said:

The 10th Dubs had a magazine "The Blackthorn" only 1 or 2 issues were published I have a copy upstairs of the first issue so I will have a look as I think it gives some details about the raising of the battalion etc.

Conor :D

I know its just over 19 years(!) since this post Conor, but I dont suppose you still have that copy do you?

Edited by Machalovich