Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Agamemnon, HMS Winchester

Guest wisker

my great great uncle Nathanial Feasey served on HMS Agamemnon and HMS Winchester, he died during service but both destroyers survived the war intact. how do i find out what happened to him? ps im knew to this wonderful site :D

Hello

I am having difficulty locating Nathaniel Feasey as died on service. There was a Henry Feasey who died of illness in November 1917.

AGAMEMNON was an old battleship that participated in the Dardanelles operations. WINCHESTER was a new destroyer.

Do you have any dates - I could flesh in your query a bit more.

Thanks

don

Welcome Wisker,

Agammemnon was a Lord Nelson Class Battleship of 18,800 tons, 4 x 12 inch guns, 10 x 9.2 inch guns, 24 x 12 pounder guns, 5 x 18 inch Torpedoes.Armour was 12 inch sides, 8 inch deck and 12 inch guns.She was launched on 23rd June 1906.

She served in 6th Battle Squadron in 1914, 5th Battle Squadron 1n early 1915 then sent to the Med till 1918

Winchester was an Admiralty W class destroyer launched 1st February 1918, 1300 tons armed with 4 x 4 inch guns, 2 pounder AA guns and 18 inch torpedoes.

Aye

Malcolm,

HMS Lord Nelson

All The Best

Chris

post-24-1110233842.jpg

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Wisker,

Welcolme to the forum from another new member!

Although I cannot help you with regards to your Uncle (my research is sadly in a different field), you may be interested in a book called 'A Midshipman's Diary' by H E Denham. This book is the memoirs of a member of the crew of HMS Agamemnon during World War 1. Plenty of photographs so maybe of some use?

I am researching the Zeppelin LZ85 that was brought down by the HMS Agamemnon in 1916, and was wondering if you had any photos of your uncle and also the ship?

Kind regards

Ian

:rolleyes:

my great great uncle Nathanial Feasey

The medal roll for your grandfather is on microfilm at the National Archives, Kew, the reference is adm 171/101. Looking that up will show his service number as well as the medals he was issued with. Then look up his number in the registers of service (all service up to 1928, when they changed to a card index) ADM 188, also on microfilm. They are not as comprehensive as a full set of army papers, but they weren't burnt!

thank you all very much for the information, i have a copy of a picture of HMS Agamemnon and i have lots of pictures of my great great uncle and crew members of the Agamemnon and Winchester. uncle Nat was Born in 1899 unfortunatly i dont have any other dates. i have a picture of him and a mate sent to my great grandmother when he died. the friend has written on the back " a token for our friendship, i hope you will accept for remembrance as the years roll by, to oblivion and regret." on the front of the picture is written "for friendships sake" and signed G J Pitkeathly? its a bit hard to decipher. i will send pictures as soon as i can work out how to lol tracey

signed G J Pitkeathly

Tracey

If you are interested, you can look up his records too and see when they served together, his medal roll is in ADM 171/112.

Fred

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Tracey,

I hope that you manage to find the information that you require concerning your Uncle. I will have a look through the book I mentioned yesterday, to see if I can find any references to your Uncle.

I will look forward to seeing the photos - if you manage to get them on. Please do not worry if you are unable to.

Kind regards

Ian

:D

thanks Ian would appreciate you looking through that book for me. hope you dont mind, sent the pictures of my great great uncle to you through your website.the group picture has writing on the back says "three of the B`hoys off the Aggy"

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Tracey,

Thank you so much for contacting me by email and for the fantastic photographs. I have sent a reply on email and I will check the book tonight.

Kind regards

Ian

:D

hi Ian , your most welcome to the pics. its nice to see the faces of those that fought for future generations. I`m so lucky to have inherited them.Dont rush on my account with the book, the wife definitly comes first! lol tracey

Guest Captain Pikey

Hi Tracey,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. Sadly, after going through the book, I have found no mention of your Uncle - sorry! It was worth a go though.

If you wish to research your Uncle's ship I would strongly recommend the book as it is a great insight into the ships actions and crew. I must apologise also for getting the author wrong - it should be H. M. Denham.

If you come accross any other photographs and you do not mind scanning them for me, I would love to see them. Likewise, if you need anything scanning ths end, just let me know.

Kind regards

Ian

:rolleyes: