Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this German chap WW1 or pre WW1

mapowell196

German writing on the back.  Not sure if a German Prussian relative ( have a few of those ) or perhaps taken by my grandfather in WW1...have a few things he  took from German soldiers.  Writing on back in illegible German but can identify Ens (ensign?) Dragoon Reg 16. Postcard identifyer looks like H Schröder and an address in Lüneburg.  Any help appreciated, even the rank would be useful.  Postcard location is Australia.

IMG_5165 (1).jpg

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5167 (1).jpg

I’m sure @The Prussianwill be able to help.

It's Unteroffizier Albert Seiffert, Ersatz-Depot Dragoner-Regiment 16, 2. Eskadron, if I see it correctly.

Jan

Great so that is who they are sending the postcard to?

I  thought the  person in the photo was H. Schroeder? which is in print but what you are saying makes sense.  Is it WW1 do you think?

PS your eyes are terrific.  I have 2 much older Prussian uniform photos which i know are pre 1900 maybe  i  should post those too. thanks alot

Hello!

Everything fits. Ersatz-Depot seems to be WW1.

The town is Lüneburg.

4 minutes ago, mapowell196 said:

Great so that is who they are sending the postcard to?

I  thought the  person in the photo was H. Schroeder? which is in print but what you are saying makes sense.  Is it WW1 do you think?

PS your eyes are terrific.  I have 2 much older Prussian uniform photos which i know are pre 1900 maybe  i  should post those too. thanks alot

The name on the side is the name of the photographer/postcard printer. The card is adressed to Albert's brother.

It is indeed written during WWI.

Ok thank you everyone...I am now  a little ill because it comes with some blood stained German Marks...very sad.  His brother would never have got the card.

In case you are wondering the chevrons on his arm are not badges of rank but are skill-at-arms awards.

Charlie

thanks  so much Charlie that's why i could not find a rank!  Very interesting thank you.  Would love to get this card back to his descendents.

Everyone has been very helpful.  Really Appreciate it.  Marg in Melbourne Australia

Marg, his rank - Unteroffizier, roughly a Corporal - is indicated by the braiding on his collar and cuffs.

Charlie

1 hour ago, mapowell196 said:

Writing on back in illegible German

Actually his handwriting is quite clear and (in case you don't already know) the message starts with "Die besten Grüsse aus der Heimat" -- warm greetings from home -- and closes by expressing the hope that the war will soon be over.

wow, despite having many German ancestors i  don't speak German  and struggle with all my old German documents.My grandmother Ehrke spoke German and taught my grandfather and this came in very handy during ww1.   He was like an early commando sneaking up on the enemy and tricking them by speaking their language. The army recognised this skill in his military record.  My grandmother never spoke a word of German after 1914.  I find this writing impossible to decipher enough to do a google translate...would love to know everything it says.  I am trying to trace the family now,  but it might take a while.

Die besten Grüsse aus der Heimat sende ich dir, besten Dank für deine liebe Karte. Sind alle gesund und munter was auch ich von dir hoffe. Hoffentlich ist der Krieg bald vorbei. Es grüsst dich herzlich dein Bruder Albert.

I send you warmest greetings from home, many thanks for your dear card. All are healthy and happy, and I hope that you are too. Hopefully the war will soon be over. Warm greetings from your brother Albert

It's a pretty standard message. The reason the writing appears illegible is because it is written in Sütterlin script. I would venture that your struggles with your old documents are not due entirely to not speaking German but also because they are likely written in Sütterlin, so don't feel bad -- even if your German was fluent, there isn't any guarantee that you could read it! (If you ever feel the urge to learn it, here is the site that I used. I printed out the chart with the letters and use it as a sort of "key" to the code.)

Edited by knittinganddeath