Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli 1915: Accuracy ?

MelPack

There is a recently made Turkish docu-drama on the Gallipoli campaign just been made available on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15cUStDAaAU

It is interesting to view the conflict from the Turkish perspective albeit that some circumspection is required to navigate the Erdogan inspired islamo-nationalism and the veneration of the pious simplicity of the Anatolian peasant.

I would be interested to hear assessments as to the accuracy of the depiction of key events.

Mate,

I started to watch this, but will need more time, but after two mintues I could see the way it was going.

The poor Ottomans are kicked out of the lands they held for hundreds of years?

Its funny, but all the former occupiers think this way, that with out them those's countries with fail and they will soon want them back?

The British use to think this about India, and the rest of the Commonweath, when they gained there freedoms?

The Ottomans forget when they took these lands, as well as there own country, they were Christian long before the Ottomans took them, and had been Christian longer then they had been Muslim now?

They forced the religion on them or die, Suliman and others were not kind to the countries they took, like the Balkan region, the Serbs and Croats still have hung ups about this, I saw and heard it in Bosnia in the last Balkan war, as all they could say after murdering a Muslim village, was the Muslims did it to them after Kosovo?

Yes even if that was 500 + years ago that didn't matter to them?

So this mentality cuts both ways?

As is said this movie would not work in countries outside Turkey, other then other Muslim countries who all feel the same, just ask the Palestinians?

S.B

A third rate, terribly inaccurate and embarrassing movie, based entirely upon a vulgarised heroic/conservative view of the campaign. A weak, disjointed scenario, uniforms (especially Turkish uniforms), music, lines, everything. Just ridiculous. The Anzac landing for example was depicted as if there was a strong opposition. The scenes involving the naval attack on 18 March are just cringey. Ships never came that close to main forts at the Narrows (where did the 11 lines of mines go?) Cpl. Seyit's scene is just a rehash of the popular myth that his gun managed to score hits on one of the Allied ships. (Although it is well documented that he carried several shells, there's no record that his shells actually found their target). Some fort names are simply fictitious (e.g. there's no such fort as 'Çanakkale Bastion'). The last scene about the battle on 21 August is just an insult to the history (cavalry, what the actual f?). Men praying en masse on every occasion, ordinary Anatolians are very enthusiastic about becoming a soldier etc. etc. Disgusting.

Edited by emrezmen

Mate,

As stated I watched about 2 minutes of this, and stopped after the recruitment of the men to the Army.

Now I sure some men went willing, like they show, but most didn't?

From what I found on Ottoman recruitment, each village had to preduce so many men for military service, weather they wanted to or not.

Most mothers gave their sons as dead, because so few would come back, at lest whole?

Sad time for many families.

S.B

On 26/06/2021 at 00:12, stevebecker said:

Now I sure some men went willing, like they show, but most didn't?

They weren't eager but there was no rebellion either. Most of them didn't have a clear notion of what fighting for their country would mean or even their nationality, mainly because of lack of education. The army at that point served as a school and officers as teachers.

On 26/06/2021 at 00:12, stevebecker said:

From what I found on Ottoman recruitment, each village had to preduce so many men for military service, weather they wanted to or not.

True. There was mass conscription. Basically everyone between 19-45 were "soldiers of the sultan" ('Asakir-i Sahane', as written on the belt buckles).

Edited by emrezmen