Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Unknown Decoration

Ian Riley

I apologise if this has no WW1 connection but can anyone please  identify this decoration (found in a small collection referred to in another post) I am trying to help a friend clear his late  father-in-law's estate (he seemed to collect oddments). Spanish decorations seem to feature a lot of Maltese crosses. It is about 5.5 cm from bottom edge to the orb at the top of the crown. it is in any case damaged (centre missing) and is not terribly well made so may not be a 'state' issue . Suggestions gratefully received. 

Ian

QR 2877 Unknown Decoration ht 5.5 cm to tip of crown.jpg

It is the special Belgian decoration for industry and agriculture, 2nd Class.  It was typically related to labouring activities.  I imagine it might have been awarded to someone who had service with the Labour Corps, especially in connection with POW Companies, who were placed in charge of teams of German POW labouring in support of Belgian (and French) war effort such as agriculture and timber cutting that had been affected by a dearth of manpower due to national military service.

Edited by FROGSMILE

44 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It is the special Belgian decoration for industry and agriculture, 2nd Class.  It was typically related to labouring activities.  I imagine it might have been awarded to someone who had service with the Labour Corps, especially in connection with POW Companies who were placed in charge of teams of German POW labouring in support of Belgian (and French) war effort such as agriculture and timber cutting that had been affected by a dearth of manpower due to national military service.

Thank you so much. I had wondered whether there was an agricultural or forestry connection given the amount of greenery but I have spent hours searching websites  for decorations awarded by monarchies of the 20th Century from Norway to Portugal to Bulgaria and Montenegro. The special Belgian industry and agriculture decorations are an unillustrated few lines of my 1963 copy of Taprrell Dorling's Ribbons and Medals

12 hours ago, Ian Riley said:

Thank you so much. I had wondered whether there was an agricultural or forestry connection given the amount of greenery but I have spent hours searching websites  for decorations awarded by monarchies of the 20th Century from Norway to Portugal to Bulgaria and Montenegro. The special Belgian industry and agriculture decorations are an unillustrated few lines of my 1963 copy of Taprrell Dorling's Ribbons and Medals

I’m glad to have been of help.  On the surface of things it seems likely to me that your Belgian decorations are linked.  Incidentally the matching crowns were a big clue to a common source.  Image shows 1st class (with rosette) and 2nd class awards.

NjMyYmM3NjEyM2IxN2E3OWYxNzc0OGFmZjIyMTk5NzDhDUMPLmg1I5-YG4JxrRDzaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMzYyNTNiNDAyYWQ0ZDY3MmQ5MzMyZGZkY2ZmNGY2YzRlY2VhZGUzZjk5NzI4MGNiZjAxMjY4ZDUwYWZkODYwMi5qcGd8NjAwfHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5hZ.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks again - Taprell Dorling did give me the ribbon colours at least