Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Nathan Barron

temptage

Whilst strolling around my local Cemetery I saw this grave with mention of

"William Nathan Barron drowned at sea 28th Jan 1917"

IMG_20210311_125812.jpg.f4b171b2d6ba534641ef86ae2e8fc7ba.jpg

Now obviously first and foremost the thought is that he could have just drowned off any vessel, but I have also checked on which british boats/ships were lost on that day, just in case, and I can only see 3.

The 3 were:

HM Torpedo Boat 24 which collided with a breakwater and sank at Dover. No casualties reported.

FV Alexandra was scuttled in the North Sea 60 nautical miles east of the Longstone Lighthouse, Northumberland by SM UC-30 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived, but her skipper was taken as a prisoner of war.

HMT Jacamar, a naval trawler, collided with another vessel and sank in the English Channel off the Folkestone Lightship. 5 of her crew are named on the CWGC database.

Now the question is could BARRON have also been on HMT Jacamar, because trawlers would normally have more than 5 crew, especially an armed Trawler.

If anyone can add to this, or indeed prove otherwise, I would be very grateful

This clipping from Hull Daily Mail - Saturday 10 February 1917 may provide an answer. Courtesy BNA

Barron.png

He features on a few ancestry trees & I quote this with the usual caveat about accuarcy of ancestry trees.

William Nathan BARRON

born c1854 London

died at sea 1917

1861 lived Hibladstow, Lincs

1871 Scawby, Lincs.   working as an ag lab, father ag lab 

1901 aged 47 lived 77 Ayscough Street, Grimsby.  works as a fish porter

1911 age 56 lived 77 Ayscough Street, West Marsh, Grimsby.  Labourer on Fish Pontoon.

Edited by travers61

4 hours ago, ajsmith said:

This clipping from Hull Daily Mail - Saturday 10 February 1917 may provide an answer. Courtesy BNA

Barron.png

Thats great thanks. The irony of the situation is that as there was no mention that he was on the Hetty, I have previously asked about the Hetty because I also found a grave with James Neil's name on it too, but didnt associate them together

Screenshot_4.jpg.48380efed2d5138616416eaacf7978b3.jpg