Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Size of original WW1 Medal Index Cards (MICs)

Mart0965

Does anyone out there know the original size of the WW1 Medal Index cards? its really quite difficult to gauge when looking at all the digital images that are available

Thanks in advance

M

• Admin

They're the size of a postcard, about 6x4 inches

@David Tattersfieldof the Western Front Association would appear a good man to answer this for you - hopefully he will spot this now.

:-) M

• Admin

I helped re house them for the WFA, so I have seen the cards. I didn't have a ruler to hand on the day, just aching muscles, lots of mouse droppings cleared up, and got very dirty.

Think of the ruled cards you can buy in stationers shops for card indexes. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

I helped re house them for the WFA, so I have seen the cards. I didn't have a ruler to hand on the day, just aching muscles, lots of mouse droppings cleared up, and got very dirty.

Think of the ruled cards you can buy in stationers shops for card indexes. 

Thanks for your work Michelle.

Stationers' index cards actually come in a variety of sizes. ;-)

An alternative who might know could be @collectorsguide[[a.k.a. Howard Williamson author of The Great War Medal Collector's Companion 1914-19]

• Admin

I wish I could find the photos of the day, it would help, but I've no idea where they would be......

As an aside [hopefully not too distracting]: For anyone who is interested in the PENSION index and ledger index card records also saved by the WFA the following might be of interest

• "Please note that the original documents are cards - the size of these being 8" by 5" - the previously published records are ledgers approximately 12" by 6" in size."

From an article at the WFA  https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/world-war-i-articles/pension-record-cards-claims-for-soldiers-who-were-killed - thanks to David Tattersfield and Craig Suddick [a.k.a. @@ss002d6252] - thanks gents [and to all the rest of the WFA team & volunteers for the efforts to get these pension records out to us.  :-)  :-) 

Michelle

I was at Hayes, Middlesex the day the cards, were sorted out to go down to Wiltshire if I remember rightly. It took all day movings the cabinets that the cards were contained in. 

@Mark1959 may have an answer as he worked with the cards till late 80s.

TEW

I would suggest that as the National Archives scans are six per sheet, presume A4 sheet, then that would give you a metric size of approximately 105mm X 99mm

1 hour ago, jonbem said:

I would suggest that as the National Archives scans are six per sheet, presume A4 sheet, then that would give you a metric size of approximately 105mm X 99mm

The image size of one I downloaded off Ancestry is 1199 x 813 pixels, an aspect ratio of 1.4747:1

(So 105 x 99 doesn't look right...)

The image is at 168dpi.

Assuming that image hasn't been resized, 1199 x 813 px  ÷ 168 is        7.13" x 4.84"    or      181mm x 123mm

(Bigger than I thought, I must admit...)

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

My calculation was using an A4 at 210mm x 297mm, thus half 210 is 105 and a third of 297 is 99, so that would be a presumed maximum if they are butted up exactly to fit on a sheet.

Other options are available! eg. 6 Labels Per Sheet - 6 Up Label Sizes | Online Labels®

image.png.572593e10fc85d499441e80753696ed0.png

On 17/06/2021 at 10:14, TEW said:

@Mark1959 may have an answer as he worked with the cards till late 80s.

TEW

Now you are asking.  I cannot even remember last week so can only go on what memory I have left. They were a slightly squarer version of a small postcard. So putting the cards 2 across and 3 down on A4 would just about fit - at a squeeze. It was not something I have ever thought about but that is my recollection,

As they were being prepared to go to the PRO they were microfiched at the Army Medal Office so we had a record. My memory is these were done in A4 images of 6 cards. 

The index cards for WW2 were similar size but perhaps a tad more postcard like. These were actually the cards the servicemen filled in at the Post Office to apply after the war.  There are no medal rolls for WW2 campaign medals. The entitlement is just shown on the card and on the serviceman's / servicewoman's service documents. But I am drifting off topic. 

Best job I ever had!!

edit - if you ever see a date stamp from the 80s it will have beem made by one of those date stamps where you could change the date by rotating the stamp mechanism. That will allow you to visualise how big they are. Plus of course there is a big chance I put it there. 

Edited by Mark1959

Although I have seen these, I did not take a tape measure - however the photo attached may help which shows the size of these against an A4 pad. 

1848089504_micsize.JPG.b58ff5feb1b3db212fe92a1611fbd0d4.JPG

Thank you David,

As we all know, a sheet of A4 is 297 x 210mm.

The pad lies a little obliquely to the cards (Tsk!), but on the left side of the pad, a card width is from about 3 lines above the 2nd perforation down, to about 3 lines above the 4th perforation down.

Allowing for a slight degree of skewiffishness, and assuming the lines and perforations are to ISO regulation dimensions, then I'd say the width of a card is somewhere around 6½" to 6¾", (165 -170mm ish).

On 17/06/2021 at 10:18, jonbem said:

That would make them virtually square, which they are patently not. I would be happier to accept Michelle's 6"x4" estimate.

BillyH.

3 minutes ago, BillyH said:

That would make them virtually square, which they are patently not. I would be happier to accept Michelle's 6"x4" estimate.

BillyH.

That's right, they're not square, the aspect ratio is about 1.4747:1  so 6"x 4" is in the right ballpark for ratio of width : height.

From David's photo no way will 6 fit on an A4 sheet without image reduction.

TEW

Dear All,

Size of the MIC?

Surely the content is paramount - not to mention the information on the reverse!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear All,

Size of the MIC?

Surely the content is paramount - not to mention the information on the reverse!

Ah, yes.

But if you hadn't personally seen a medal, or just seen a photo of one without a scale, wouldn't you be interested in its physical dimensions also?

And its weight, and ... ?

We don't know the reason behind the OP's thread question either.

What if a replica is to be made for some purpose?

Size can also matter to some.

Edited by Matlock1418
;-)

Dear Matlock1418,

Yes, I see what you mean. 

Kindest regards,

Kim.1611734080_MICCaptGoyder.jpg.950de0c970f188c57104dea47ca04359.jpg

5 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

I see what you mean. 

I hoped you might.

Nice MIC by the way - What size is it?

[On my small screen it's tiny and on my big screen it's massive!]

;-) M

Dear Matlock1418,

The MIC for Capt Goyder (Indian Finance Dept., IARO, and General List as APM 36 Ulster Div.) is massive on my screen, too. The MIC 377296396_GoyderinNineofClubsattireca1910.jpg.a06a38588967359327faec4e85a31a76.jpg1499609608_CaptG.B.GoyderVD.JPG.e76a1f59db3c13df8add6ee8e7f4a05b.JPGreverse has interesting detail, too.

What did he look like? His medals? All found and attached...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

2 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

What did he look like? His medals? All found and attached...

Any excuse for you eh? ;-)

Another very fine display.

Love what I cautiously assume is [?] mess dress [?] - Anyone for cards?

Edited by Matlock1418