Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Engine Repair Shops - move to UK 1919?

Errol Martyn

An AIR79 entry for a Fitter (General) has him posted from 1 AD to 'Home Est E.R.S.' on 11 Mar 19.

Does anyone know if the Engine Repair Shops moved from France to England about this time? I am aware of the article in 1986 Cross & Cockade International Journal about the ERS, but it does not state what happened to the unit after the Armistice.

TIA,

Errol

I think that there was at least one ERS still operational during the summer of 1919 (near Rouen), but they were all gone by the Autumn.

I suggest you try getting hold of a copy of Aiden Williams book for a more definitive answer. RFC/RAF Engine Repair Shops - France 1914 to 1918.

He was most probably the author of the C&C article.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

KizmeRD,

Yes same author for article and the booklet. But does the latter have more to say than the article or is it just a repeat? I note, for instance, that the title suggests it only goes up to 1918.

Cheers,

Errol

The book includes a chapter titled ‘Armistice and beyond’, but whether it has the answers you are looking for, I have no idea.

MB

Thanks KizmeRD,

That looks encouraging. I've ordered a copy of the book. Actually, I see now that it is over 100 pages in length, so obviously something more substantial than the CCI article, which I hadn't realised before.

Cheers,

Errol

Given the problematic nature of WW1 aviation engines, Engine Repair Shops fulfilled a vital role in maximising the number of operational aircraft in service. Basic maintenance was provided at squadron level, but complete engine overhaul and testing was the job of the ERS’s. There’s not enough acknowledgement of the work that they were involved in, or the people carrying it out (including many women belong to QMAAC). The largest ERS operating in France was Pont de l’Arche, 10km south east of Rouen. I hope you enjoy the book.

MB

• 2 weeks later...

A copy of this booklet reached me this week, but it is a very disappointing tome in that it does not explain what happened to the ARS post-Armistice. The reason it runs to 114 pages is mainly because a rather large font has been used. I don't think there's much, if any, in the way of additional text to what appeared earlier in the CCI article. There is a very interesting collection of photographs but their reproduction is such that it is pretty much like looking at them through a London fog of old.

Cheers,

Errol

That’s a real shame, there isn’t too much written on this topic, and although it’s a disappointing read for your particular requirements, Aiden Williams has done more than anyone to highlight the wartime role of the ERS’s.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

David,

The July 1919 file looks to be the most useful for my purposes. Unfortunately it's not easily accessible to one located 12,000 miles away here in Covid-free New Zealand!

Cheers,

Errol

David,

i do use Lee Richard's excellent ARCRE service, but he has a large backlog at present owing to some virus thingy . . . So it is very much a waiting game.

Cheers,

Errol

• 1 year later...

Errol

My grandfather LAC L J Hancock served with the ERS at Pont de L'Arche near Rouen from March 1915 to May 1919. I have looked at the files relating to the ERS at Kew including the one relating to its disbandment and it was wound-up according to my notes and photos taken at Kew in July 1919.

I trust this of help.

Cheers

Trevor

Thank you Trevor.

Cheers,

Errol