Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley revolver identification

Chrism68

Morning all, I'm new to this as area normally dabbling in WW2 but I have a Webley revolver I thought was MkVI but the grips are different (I don't think the ones fitted are true to the gun as they are a bad fit) can anybody shed some light on what model this is. I've plowed through images on Google and the closest I can see is MkV.  After more browsing I think this the WG Army model? 

DSC_0104.JPG.c4cb3a5f7d2cc67d60a2628ff5e3819c.JPG

Hello Chris,

Welcome to the GWF!

Could you post photos of any markings found on this revolver?

The experts (not me) will then be able to give you real answers.

Regards,

JMB

What calibre is the revolver? It is difficult to tell scale from the pictures.

Would it be possible to retake the picture of the marking  - the one you have posted it actually focused on the backgound  towel not the revolver

It looks to be either very pitted and corroded or possibly a rough Khyber Pass type facsimilie of a Webley.

Are there any other stampings? (for example on the rear face of the cylinder there would usually be a serial number and proof stamps)

Chris

Back in the 1960s there were a number of pot metal replicas sold that had a similar pitted finish to this gun. Are you sure it is a working model? Is the barrel clear and rifled?

Tony

Hi 

It's hard to get a picture clearly of the stamp, it does say Webley over Patent though, no model number. The front of the cylinder has 476 and *66 stamped on it. 1657 is stamped in front of the frame hinge. 

It's a .455 calibre deactivated by a proof house

This did have a suncorite finish layered on thick which was removed, I'm just about to put it in for restoration. 

It also has the correct silver foresight that you see on WG 1896 Army revolvers. 

Given the calibre, the arrangement of screws and the shape of the grips I agree that this is probably a WG Model.

Because it has rounded, rather than pointed/steepled cylinder grooves and a squared off butt rather than a rounded I think it is probably the 1886 model but there are some anomalies.

The best reference is probably Bruce and Reinhart's "Webley Revolvers" (revised from Dowell's "The Webley Story") -- however I have it here next to me and there are about 4 pages of pictures of variants none of which to my eye match yours exactly.

Chris

Edited by 4thGordons

I think the issue is that it was probably a privately purchased piece (absence of any govt markings) and therefore the purchaser could specify certain elements.

The closest I can find is the "Webley W.G. Model 1886 in calibre .476 with a 6" barrel. (p130/131 plate V/57) or, as you say the WG Army Model in .455/476 (p133 plare V/65) the only difference I see is the cylinder locking mechanism which on both the examples illustrated has two components where yours appears to only have one.

Chris

This link shows what I am referring to: CLICK

And this stock photo shows the overall view of the type closest as far as I can see.

Chris