Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Ambulance admission, wound/illness "NYD F"

Pat Atkins

14 Field Ambulance admissions for August 1915 give this acronym in the "Diseases" column of a man I'm researching. I read it as NYD F (the record contains other examples of the same capital letter F, so I think this is correct), and take NYD to be 'Not Yet Diagnosed'; however, what is the F? Fever, perhaps? 

Thanks in advance, Pat

1977791227_Screenshot2021-06-06at18_36_46.png.743a05741079aa0f2c54ca1351f1c738.png

Fever or Febrile would seem reasonable, but I'm happy to cede place to someone else with proof of another interpretation.

This was my diagnosis when I was discharged from Long Island Jewish Hospital some years ago after a 24 hour stay including all night on a gurney in a corridor,.  But it was accompanied by a bill for $10,000.   Celebrate the NHS !!

The diary for 14 FA in Aug 1915 has considerable numbers of sick being admitted, 38 in one day. You could track down service records from the admission book to see what the NYD F cases were later diagnosed with. Fever seems the most plausible. Hopefully it wasn't diagnosed as PUO!

Not sure what the difference would be between NYD F and PUO.

TEW

In the modern era, PUO is a fever that has existed for 3 weeks and which the cause hasn't been found after a week's investigation.

I suspect the timeframes were much shorter back then, although the specification would still have  existed for negative investigations.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thank you all for your kind assistance, that seems to answer my question. Much appreciated, folks.

Pat