Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2Lt Alfred Edward Hall - 16 Bn Lancashire Fusiliers - Further Help Needed

Shiny

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help researching a relative, I have asked for help in the past on this thread (below) but I have now found a bit more and am a little better at researching as well.

I now know when he was commisioned in August 1917 he was put in the 16th battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. I have downloaded the war diary for them but I know sometimes if officers lead patrols they were mentioned in brigade war diaries and that is the help I need.

Can anyone tell me what brigade diary I need to look for so I can see if he gets a mention.

Thanks very much.

Michael

Edited by Shiny

Brilliant, thanks MaxD

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of help with this again, I'm getting tied in knots with Alfred's record which I have a copy of from Kew.

According to his record he was in the 16th Bn Cheshires as an RQMS then got a commission. On the 28th of August 1917 he is named on No 3 OCB's orders as being posted to the 3rd Bn Lancashire Fusiliers as a 2Lt which I understand was a UK based training regiment. His record shows he was on home service from 25 Feb 1917 to 28 Aug 1917 so it all makes sense so far.

The problem I have is that he sent a letter in November 1918 asking for his discharge certificate from an address in Reading (he lived near Newcastle) and it is signed Capt AE Hall, 16th Lancashire Fusiliers.

His record has no further dates after the 28th of August 1918 to show him being home or abroad and there is no record of him moving battalions or of him being promoted.

I've had a look at the 16th battalion's war diary and there is a mention of 2Lt AE Hall being wounded on the 3rd of Feb 1918. There is also an entry on the 23rd of Sep 1918 of Capt AE Hall, the acting Adjuant returning to the UK to transfer to the RAF. None of this is in his record.

I can't find anything in the London Gazette to confirm his promotion however his discharge certificate in his record does record that he is a temporary 2Lt, Acting Captain.

To help try and work all of this out can anyone help with the attached bit from his record. What is SEA in relation to his theatre of war and what was his last unit?

Could it just be an admin error and no one updated his record to show he'd transferred battalions and gone back to France or is there a second officer in the 16th Bn who just happens to be the same rank with the same initials and name. If he was acting as a captain would those promotions not go in the gazette or have I just not found them?

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Unit.jpg.4886e2d13765431cc60e793f1f216449.jpg

• Shiny changed the title to 2Lt Alfred Edward Hall - 16 Bn Lancashire Fusiliers - Further Help Needed
  • Admin
On 09/06/2021 at 20:04, Shiny said:

posted to the 3rd Bn Lancashire Fusiliers as a 2Lt which I understand was a UK based training regiment. His record shows he was on home service from 25 Feb 1917 to 28 Aug 1917

The Lancashire Fusiliers Annual for 1917 has him proceeding overseas from the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion on 11th October 1917.

Regards

Russ

Hall.JPG.aaaaf85aaf3044a327fb76687dfaeda9.JPG

Hi RussT,

Thank you very much for that. Where is that document, it's not something I've come across before.

That does confirm that his record hasn't been filled in after his posting. Does it say which battalion he went overseas with?

I'm guessing he was put in the 16th battalion but it would be nice to see it in writing.

Thanks again for the help. 

Michael 

Great, thank you very much RussT, I really appreciate the help.

Michael 

Hi Michael,

I have checked my Army Lists and find the following:

October, 1917 issue:    Hall, A.E.  2/Lt  29/8/17  under 1st and 2nd Battalions L.F's.

February, 1919 issue:   Hall, A.E.  2/Lt  29/8/17  under 16th Service Battalion L.F's.

I have no other Army Lists between these dates but normally there would be a note such as 'T/Capt 4/9/18' but in absence of such a note it would appear that his promotion may have come post Feb 1919.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately work got in the way today.

That is a great help, those dates really give me something to work on. It's odd how the date is the same yet the battalion is different in the different years lists.

Thank you very much,

Michael