Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Well done War Graves Commission (South African Branch)

Richie Rich

A few years ago, whilst plotting and documenting graves for the South African War Graves Project, I eventually managed to locate the plot of shrub known as the Port Shepstone (Dan Pienaar Drive) Cemetery. Named after Major General Daniel Pienaar (Companion of the Order of the Bath, DSO and two bars) who was killed in an aircraft crash in Kenya in 1942, the small cemetery is located down the South Coast of KwaZulu-Natal. Hidden among the thick foliage, I managed to find the two South African WW11 burials and did what I could to hack  and clear away the obstructing brush. On returning home, I contacted the C.W.G.C and reported my findings along with supporting photos. A few months later I revisited the plot and nearly fell down with pleasant surprise when i saw what the Commission had done to not only clear the burial area but also to encase the two graves with some fencing. Well down to the C.W.G.C for their continued commitment in caring for and preserving those that gave their today, so we could have our tomorrow. Rest In Peace Pte. Gumede and Pte. Mduna (Native Military Corps). 

44765960_DanPienaarDrv_oldoverview3.JPG.0da6891223b4c16597f4851ed7d0dca9.JPG

781907712_DanPienaarDrv_oldoverview1.JPG.17b312b751c883c7c00458a4990b3baa.JPG
1599494579_DanPienaarDrv_newoverview.JPG.15211e9e184373daff6f6048f97cc504.JPG

A heartening tale - thanks for raising/posting

RIP lads.

:-) M