Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German’s Arrive

Gunner 87

I recently found this painting on a Great War Facebook group and thought it may interest some of our members.

Apparently, on one site it attracted a considerable amount of adverse comments and, as such, taken down. The work is contemporary and an example of some attitudes to Germany post conflict.

The following text accompanied the image which, again, I found informative. 

A Belgian boy is maimed in front of his village in "The Germans Arrive", completed in 1918 by American artist, George Bellows, 1882-1925.

The painting is one of a number in ‘The War Series’ depicting alleged atrocities committed during World War One.

At the time, Bellows was heavily criticized for his depiction of gruesome wartime events. One of his critics, Joseph Pennell, insisted that because Bellows had not seen war with his own eyes, he had no right to paint scenes like these.

His response?

"I didn't realize Da Vinci had a ticket of admission to the Last Supper."

An interesting article regarding ‘The War Series’ can be found at https://mydailyartdisplay.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/the-war-series-by-george-bellows/

BF221CCF-B29D-4DC8-B2C2-6A3251F3D8DC.jpeg.64422c1f8155b983fcbacb5ed54afbef.jpeg

very strong picture, really impactful, gloomy and reflecting the horrors of war .....I'm not sure it's credible and a bit intentional but it reflects the mood of the artists of that period

Edited by sunko123456

5 minutes ago, sunko123456 said:

very strong picture, really impactful, gloomy and reflecting the horrors of war .....I'm not sure it's credible and a bit intentional but it reflects the mood of the artists of that period

Yes, agreed. I was surprised an American artist would produce such provocative and damning work. If the piece was created earlier in the war, when allegations of German atrocities in Belgium were being broadcast and used for propaganda purposes, I could understand it’s graphic nature.