Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Walker DCM?

M H West

Hello,

I am trying to find out about John Walker (always known as Jake). According to family stories he was awarded a DCM in possibly 1917, or possibly after Ypres. The citation is apparently somewhere in Canada with a family member. On his marriage registration of 1915 he gives his service number as 23086, (but I know that is actually for John McQueen), and that he is in the 19th and the rest is unclear but definitely the HLI. I have been told that his service number is incorrect, and according to his medal roll card it should be 23087. I have searched the London Gazette, The British Newspaper Archives and other sources and can find nothing. I suppose what I want to know is did he really get an award for gallantry, or is this just a family story about grandad? Any help would be very much appreciated

Welcome! A great citation for very specific gallant actions on 28th & 30th September 1918. a well deserved DCM award.

The War Diary of the 12th HLI will say where they were and what was happening on those dates. Free to download from TNA at present: 

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353978

Strange that the citation says 'Private' when it says 'this NCO' and his MIC and medal roll say 'sergeant'.

688492549_ScreenShot2021-05-26at15_46_42.png.227dceef4aafb66c7d31f07ae83e4e6d.png

Thank you so much both. This has been a family rumour for some years, but we haven't managed to track down the truth. After the war he returned to being a Police Officer and was for a time in Dunfermline, I shall now have another look at the newspapers, but widen the time scale. Thanks again.

Snippet from the 12th Bn. HLI War Diary - 24th October 1918:

There is a six page account of the late September actions in the war diary at the end of October 1918.

They covered a lot of ground, starting near Zillebeke Village and ending up at Zaanvoorde and then Werwick/ Werwicq: 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13&lat=50.81127&lon=2.98331&layers=60&b=1&z=0&point=50.80293,2.99599

Casualties among 'other ranks' for 28th Sept to 1st October were: 20 killed, 176 wounded, 12 missing.

607084350_ScreenShot2021-05-26at16_42_50.png.f45f9c2375d50816b394193a110b4591.png

What a great result to the original post. Another deserving soldier brought to our attention.

Simon

There may be more to come, the one thing about this forum is the depth of knowledge provided by the members. As a word of warning, it can become addictive.

Simon

I'm not too worried about that Simon. My 'go to guy' for Militiary information died recently, and while the forum cannot ever replace him, I'm thrilled to find people that can help. Marion