Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wound classification query

trbl_tommy

Hi GWF,

Can anyone help me with the correct identification of this wound please from a casualty listed on 31 Amb Train 09/11/18 Rouen-Le Havre?

wound-img1.png.73ebe1b32cd41aaa267b65150db5a229.png

I have assumed it reads 'bullet wound knee (left)', or does BW stand for 'bayonet, bomb, blast' ?

Thanks,

I've seen GSW a lot, which is the abbreviation for Gun Shot Wound (which is often also used for shrapnel injuries given the type of projectile from a shrapnel shell), but can't recall seeing BW, I'm afraid. 

David.

I think Bw is most likely Bullet wound, the other consideration is Bw could be "below waist" but there doesn't appear any other descriptors 

I  d favour bullet wound....... However David makes a very good point, could you publish the whole page to see if there are other instances of Bw used

Edited by adrian 1008
further info

thanks for your replies, David26 and adrian 1008,

I have checked the whole page and a few other casualty listings either side on FMP and seen lots of instances of GSWs to various limbs/hands, but infrequent use of BW.

Interestingly I have found separate examples of 'BW forearm (L)' and 'GSW knee (L) + ankle'.

I would agree that GSW appears more often and that BW is most likely Bullet wound and just used interchangeably.

trbl_tommy

Thanks. That's useful to know.

David.

This topic caught my attention.

My grandfather's records state 'Shell Wd Head (sev). I think the written word at the end is 'sev', do you think this is severe or several.

He was a gunner in the RFA and wounded by counter battery fire as he fuzed 4.5in shells.

1752701104_Screenshot(42).png.ded789470f59b3981d7420b82c7cf039.png