Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section)

chrisharley9

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to find the records for a sailor who served in the RNR (TS) in the Great War

All The Best

Chris

Chris

The National Archives hold the WWI RNR records of service on microfiche in the BT 377 series. They are all in service number order, so if you don’t have that: look him up in the ADM171 RNR medal rolls and cross reference.

All the best

Fred

Thanks to you both - very helpful

All The Best

Chris

Which rolls is it then that are held by the Board of Trade??  RNVR??

Roop,

BT is the Board of Trade series. The RNR were one of those bureaucratic nightmares: people who are the responsibility of two departments! As merchant seamen their records were kept by the Board of Trade, but in war they were under naval discipline and rewards from the Admiralty.

Fred

I have just seen this on NA site. Ref:BT 377

Access

Available in microform only unless otherwise stated.

The Ministry of Defence held the records in order to respond to war pension queries. They did not, however, maintain or add to the records in their custody. It cannot be established when the records were passed from the Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen. Approximately 139,800 cards were captured on the 5825 fiche that make up BT377/7. The original cards contained many different coloured inks, as well as pencil written words, also the fact that these were working documents until the 1950s caused many of the cards to become badly soiled. Consequently, some of the information on the microfiche may not be legible on some of the images.

File series ran from 1908 to 1955

Appraisal/destruction information

The originals will be disposed of after completion of filming. All surviving record of service cards have been microfiched.

Is this generally known?

Kath.

Very confusing it seems.

About as confusing as the militia, yeomanry, volunteers, and rifle volunteers!

The RNR was the replacement for the press gangs and were introduced in the 1850s and there was not a reorganisation like the Haldane reforms to restructure them.

Is this generally known?

I don’t think it is generally known, but I don’t think it is generally known that the army medal index cards were not destroyed.