Looking info on my granddad

Inkaholic

Hi new to chat 

Am looking info or pics of the 10th royal irish rifles  1914 to 1916 

My granddad was a lance corp 

Henry keers chambers 

I have found some of his records  but think there must be more 

I know he was wounded and that he was a pow for a while 

Would love more info or pics of the 10th in them dates and hopely find a pic of the man himself .

Any help appreciated 

811602799_FromForcesWarRecords(3).JPG.9a8d4f34ee1bc2a02e1b2bb8f9847b4d.JPG

305816452_MedalRollforthe1914-15Star.jpg.da93e2a45aa16b6c858a529318fa2bc5.jpg

Hi thk u .have most of his records as was in touch with the royal irish rifles museum in belfast but looking for a picture of the regiment at time .hoping to get one of my granddad. That one you sent is his pow record 

Screenshot_20210512-162909_Samsung Internet.jpg

Came across a single page of his service documents on Ancestry

Which indicates that he enlisted shortly after the outbreak of the war

HMC.jpg.422faeb9ba96a149623857f131e3ffbc.jpg

hope this helps

Ray

Interesting that the burnt remnant of his Medical Record mentions the 10th who were formed from the Belfast Volunteers, a pre existing Unionist auxiliary force as part of Carson’s initiative during the difficult Home Rule controversy.  It also mentions service with the 2nd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion of the RIR for whose existence I can find no mention in Brig James’s compilation, or its extract in the long long trail (LLT).

Afternote (and erratum):  just realised that it was the 2nd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion Royal Irish Regiment (depot Clonmel) and not RIR.  Interesting as this is yet another example of a regiment associated with the South of Ireland having some men from conurbation in the North.  His number with them seems to have been 2G/2865.  From LLT:

2nd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion Royal Irish Regiment -
Formed at Dublin, March 1916. Remained there until April 1918 when it became the 2nd Garrison Guard Bn.
April 1918 : landed in France.
18 April 1918 : came under orders of 178th Brigade, 59th (2nd North Midland) Division.
25 May 1918 : became the 8th Garrison Bn.
20 June 1918 : transferred to 121st Brigade, 40th Division.
13 July 1918 : became the 8th (Service) Bn.

Edited by FROGSMILE

It looks as if he initially served with 2nd (Home Service) Garrison Battalion Royal Irish Regiment, having enlisted in Belfast in September 1914.  In 1915 he seems to have transferred, or been drafted overseas to join the 10th Battalion RIR, although I don’t know if he joined them before, or after embarking for France.

Alternatively, as he was wounded in June 1916 perhaps he had started with the RIR, but then spent some time with the Royal Irish Regiment Garrison Battalion at home, convalescing in Ireland, while still unfit for front line service.  If so he must have eventually been found fit (recovered fully) and been sent back out to France where he rejoined RIR.  

The 10th RIR had been one of those several infantry battalions that were disbanded in February 1918 as a result of the reorganisation of infantry in France that reduced all infantry Brigades from four to three battalions whilst positioning them over a greater extent of the line (permitting the French to move sideways to improve their line).  

According to his records he must have then been part of a draft sent to one of the composite ‘Entrenching Battalions’ that were partly a reserve force and partly a pool of labour for improving trench works due to the wider area of responsibility, but with fewer troops along its frontage (this was very controversial and is generally considered to have contributed towards aiding the Germans in their subsequent breakthrough during that offensive of March 1918).  Many of these battalions were subsequently thrown into gaps to try and stem the enemy advance and others were overwhelmed by the speed of the German envelopment.

Yeah he served for south belfast uvf then joined the rir and fought in france and was a pow in Germany. But cant seem to find a picture of him anywere and i would really love to have one 

• Admin

Try local newspapers, they really are the best bet.

3 minutes ago, Inkaholic said:

So do i just search local newpapers at the time or france ones ..

Local newspapers in Ireland.

Just a comment on his vision as documented above.

6/18 and 6/24 is very poor.

It must have been short sight that was correctible with glasses otherwise he would have been unfit for service.

You'll know that 6/6 is classified as standard vision,  being able to see the test line at 6m (20ft).

6/18 means only being able to read it from 2m, and 6/24 from 1.5m.

You wouldn't get a driving licence today with such uncorrected vision, the minimum being approximately 6/10.5, i.e being able to read the test line from about 3.5m.

15 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Just a comment on his vision as documented above.

6/18 and 6/24 is very poor.

It must have been short sight that was correctible with glasses otherwise he would have been unfit for service.

You'll know that 6/6 is classified as standard vision,  being able to see the test line at 6m (20ft).

6/18 means only being able to read it from 2m, and 6/24 from 1.5m.

You wouldn't get a driving licence today with such uncorrected vision, the minimum being approximately 6/10.5, i.e being able to read the test line from about 3.5m.

The sort of man who in ideal circumstances might be made a clerk, or officers’ mess dugout servant then Dai.

Edited by FROGSMILE

HIs medical history sheet does have 'A1' written on it.

I guess he must have been passed OK for all duties including front line duty?

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

HIs medical history sheet does have 'A1' written on it.

I guess he must have been passed OK for all duties including front line duty?

Yes I should think so, Dai.  You made the key point about corrected vision and from the assessment you quoted he must have been a spectacles wearer.  It’s made me wonder whether soldiers were supported by the army in obtaining suitable basic spectacles during that period (i.e. in the way that they are now).  Not something that I’ve considered before now.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Can I suggest that you also look at these extra PoW Records PA numbers. They do relate to the same man despite 'Kivis' and 15th bn !

Courtesy ICRC

1301320438_GWFChambersHenryKeersICRCcard2.JPG.3f5ecb058eec6b9ce7c9b6099e1f3a50.JPG

Charlie