Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gloucester Regiment - help with Medal Card and Enlistment

MGuest

Hi, 

Please can anyone tell me more about my great grandfather Alexander Guest who was in the Gloucester Regiment. Regiment No. 18434. From his medal card and enlistment card can you tell me a bit more. 

Thank you 

2118221498_theomedalcard1915.JPG.7d2848d686841a25c5f75a138e5348ef.JPG

1676237142_TheoAlexEnlistment1915.jpg.ef7f40bd8e9416cb9bf0efb5bf3ae4f4.jpg

3 hours ago, MGuest said:

my great grandfather Alexander Guest who was in the Gloucester Regiment. Regiment No. 18434. From his medal card and enlistment card can you tell me a bit more. 

Most seems fairly straightforward but here are a few bits;

The MIC is his discharge card - Could possibly be 18436 [has been transcribed as such by Ancestry and this 18436 is on his Service Record front page] - it shows his service dates and that he was discharged as Not fit for military service King's Regs. para 392 (xvi) - looks like asthma inflammation of stomach, which had started 1910, from his service [this copy of his service record's Attestation was kept for pension purposes so escaped destruction with so many other SR in the London Blitz] record]

Shows he was entitled to a Silver War Badge  [Edit: from another record it appears that he was issued SWB badge no: B128647]

As Home Service only no war medals were awarded

From his Service record you can see that it seems he attested/signed up with 13th Bn at Neath

He was appointed to Lance Corporal [this was not a rank but an appointment given to a Private soldier] and reverted, reason not shown - could have been voluntarily or due to unfitness, about six months later.

He was later transferred to the 16th Bn. [quite possibly as preparation for discharge]

:-) M

Edit: At WFA/Fold3 there is a pension record card under: Alexander GUEST, 18436

28.11.17 he was awarded a £41/5s gratuity - I note the calculation is in his SR/Pension notes too.

Edited by Matlock1418
edits and later strikethrough correction

As Matlock said your great grandfather served only a short time, one year and 55-days, but had been enlisted in 1915 and so joined voluntarily.  The long long trail adjunct to this website has the following to say about his units:

13th (Service) Battalion (Forest of Dean)(Pioneers)
Formed in December 1914 and early 1915 by Lieut-Col. Sir Harry Webb, MP and moved to Malvern.
Adopted by War Office 12 July 1915.
Relocated to Witley Camp in Surrey.
August 1915 : attached as Divisional Pioneers to 39th Division.
Moved to Aldershot in September 1915 and landed in France 3 March 1916.
6 May 1918 : reduced to cadre strength.
16 June 1918 : transferred to 197th Brigade in 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
20 September 1918 : Brigade transferred to Lines of Communication.

16th (Reserve) Battalion
Formed in Chiseldon in November 1915 as a Reserve Bn.
1 September 1916 : converted into 94th Training Reserve Battalion of 22nd Reserve Brigade.

Your great grandfather transferred to the 16th (Reserve) Battalion not long before his previous unit, the 13th, embarked for France and Flanders.  He was then fairly quickly discharged under a clause of the Queen’s Regulations.  I don’t have the relevant QRs to hand, but as mentioned by Matlock I think it relates to ‘no longer fit for military service’ (or words to that effect) All-in-all it suggests that he had some difficulty adapting to the more physical demands of military service, presumably through his breathing ailment (asthma?).

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

(asthma?).

You appear to have correctly spotted my error for which I can now find no explanation and which I have now corrected above = inflammation of stomach

Thanks for bringing to my attention :-) - no point in confusing things. :-/

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

discharged under a clause of the Queen’s Regulations.  I don’t have the relevant QRs

Queen's Regs?

Edited by Matlock1418

11 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

You appear to have correctly spotted my error for which I can now find no explanation and which I have now corrected above = inflammation of stomach

Thanks for bringing to my attention :-) - no point in confusing things. :-/

Queen's Regs?

Yes King’s Regulations.  I struggle sometimes to get my head away from a preferred period of Queen Victoria.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes King’s Regulations.  I struggle sometimes to get my head away from a preferred period of Queen Victoria.

:-) Didn't know you were really into Queen Victoria - thought it might be from long service under Queen Elizabeth. ;-) :-)

3 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

:-) Didn't know you were really into Queen Victoria - thought it might be from long service under Queen Elizabeth. ;-) :-)

A bit of both then....